Squier Paranormal Series Jazz Bass '54

Anyone out there have the Squier Paranormal Series Jazz Bass '54? What are your thoughts on sound & feel. I may go check them out this week.

3 Likes

I’ve got a Paranormal. I really like the look and feel, and I love that each pickup has it’s own volume and tone. Just a great feature.

My bass sounds great, but I’m running Seymour Duncan Apollo pickups not the stock ones.

The build quality is as good as a Fender Player. Definitely worth checking out

4 Likes

@mgoldst just got one too

5 Likes

I have one and really like. I’ve got Seymour Duncan Area J pickups in mine. I liked the sound of the original pickups but wanted to be able to unbalance them without any hum.

7 Likes

I’ve got one with the custom pickups and preamp. The sound is one thing but the fit and finish rivals MIM fender and it looks super awesome.

5 Likes

I had one for a year before a deal on a USA jazz came along which was too good to pass up on. I had no issues with mine whatsoever, sounded great and felt great. Loved the stacked pots and the finish overall was spot on.

4 Likes

have not yet had a chance to really sit down and play for more than 5 mins of noodling at a time, but yes so far very much like the bass. fit & finish seems excellent, love the neck, shape, feel, and weight overall. personally not 100% in love with the anodized gold pick guard (i have the black/gold version) but thats easy to replace with something else later. i also got it on sale for $230 shipped which was a phenomenal deal for a bass of this quality.

also thought this review from lowendlobster sums it up well:

5 Likes

I went to GC and played one today. Not sure yet. I may wait and see if they go on sale.

3 Likes

They have been on sale.
The sales are now drying up, mostly $50 off.
If you call GC or Sweetwater they will likely give you a deal, they almost always do.
Right now GC is really pushing to sell, and is doing some really good over the phone deals.
Never hurts to ask what they will offer you…

2 Likes

The wait is over
https://www.proaudiostar.com/open-box-squier-paranormal-jazz-bass-54-black-w-maple-fb.html

2 Likes

Just ordered it.

Thanks

2 Likes

Be careful. @mgoldst ordered thus one from pro audio star and it was damaged (I think that’s right) and retuned it, no?

2 Likes

Hopefully it wasn’t that one. We will see.

1 Like

It happens. I ordered 2 Contemporary basses one was perfect another came chipped. They gave me $40 to consider it relic’s I said sure no problems, $500 bass for $159 I’ll take it.

1 Like

I ordered a bass at 50% off from Pro Audio Star and it was perfect. Small sample size but I have no complaints

2 Likes

yes i did get my first one damaged in shipping, but i have to say proaudiostar was great - they immediately sent a shipping label, and told me it took 5-10 biz days to process the return and send a replacement once they get the damaged bass. however, the damaged bass was delivered to them on a monday, and by saturday the new one was at my door so i am quite happy.

3 Likes

Hopefully this one will be okay.

1 Like

I don’t think that would fix it? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

My brain is shut off for the holidays.

3 Likes

I had a :"62 Jazz with stacked knobs but sold it when I got drafted> Saw these when they came out; liked the stacked knobs, the Jazz look and feel, and the gigantic vintahe style pickguard, Mine is the clear blond - shows the grain well; looks like it was bookmarked - I do wish I would have gotten the Vintage White but… Anyway real nice fit and finish; nice balance for long engagements, Everything is stock, except I have Fender flatwounds and a set up - rivals the Mexi and Player series - just says “Squier” on the headstock - who cares. Plenty of bang for the buck. nice player on 4-hour jobs. I play pretty much classic country, classic rock, Motown, etc, typical adult engagements.

4 Likes