Stand that fits both P and J body

I am looking for a single stand for my practice corner that fits both P and J bodies. My current stand does not fit the asymmetrical shape of the J bass very well. It’s off center, which makes me a bit uneasy every time I put the bass down.

I’ve been searching for alternatives, and found the below model that holds the bass by the headstock. The problem is that the headstock is asymmetrical as well… I don’t know how well it would fit.

Does anyone here have a similar stand and a similarly asymmetrical headstock?

Any other recommendations?

2 Likes

My guess is that fork that holds the headstock can “tilt” to adjust to the asymmetrical shape!?

How many basses do you own? I prefer the stands where the basses stand next to each other, like parallel parked cars. Like this, for example:

4 Likes

I started exactly where you are.
I tried this one for a bit but didn’t like how low it supported a bass due to kids etc around, you might not mind…

Ultimately went for the Hercules rack, and also have the hanging stand.

3 Likes

I have 3 and they live in a Gravity rack. The single stand is just for short term storage in the practice corner.

4 Likes

Ah, I see!

Still, the fork on that hanging stand most likely swivels and if kids and pets are not a problem, that should work for even the Lakland :smile:

3 Likes

Yeah I’ve been wondering about that, but can’t tell based on the pictures, and the description does not mention it. That would solve the issue though.

3 Likes

Yeah, I just looked more closely as well, and now I am not so sure either anymore :cry:

It’s how I would have designed it… :sunglasses:

3 Likes

The thing mounted on your desk? Or a proper stand like the one I linked?

1 Like

GS412B

This works fine for any shape. IMO don’t worry too much about the asymmetrical headstock. Look at wall hangers if that really bothers you (those can horizontally tilt). I’m not sure if the foldable yoke that I linked below works like a wall hanger.

GS415B

2 Likes

I have 2 K&M stands. They work well for my electric guitar and my Squier Jazz Bass and you can adjust the width:

K&M Heli 2

2 Likes

That stand is pretty similar to mine. You don’t have the same issue as me, with the bass hanging off to one side and barely making contact with the top part?

1 Like

You can adjust the bass on the stand so that it makes good contact.

As you will notice, the back-rest of the stand doesn´t exactly hit the middle of my bass. You could adjust that, so that it would be positioned perfectly in the middle of the backside of the bass. But then, the bass would be tilted sideways, which would trigger my OCD… :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Ah I see, all makes sense then. The point of contact is much lower than on mine. Hmm your stand might actually work for my bass as well…

2 Likes

Yep, I assume it would work with your bass as well and they are pretty stable. I discovered them in the guitar shop where I bought my bass. They use those stands for all of their guitars and basses. I liked them and they are not expensive.

2 Likes

@John_E I didn’t know such a thing existed. I would have gotten that instead of my hanging stand if I knew about it.

1 Like

Like the one you linked, except it holds 3.
Auto close grip “sorta” swivels enough. Note though the lakland headstock (at least my 5 string) is asymmetrical so only rests on one side. Doesn’t seem to be an issue but a watch out. I want to get a single for upstairs but so far haven’t figured out where to put it without making waves.

2 Likes

I totally understand the problem, My Jag is is asymmetrical, and struggled in stands like an A frame model, but my Streams I wouldn’t even try in one.

I have three type of racks, all by Hercules.

And the last one is a single one which is next to my practice space. Works just fine

I used to have more basses, they are not full anymore lol

2 Likes

Goals.

1 Like

Standard tripod has always worked fine for me, and I have rarely ever owned a remotely “standard Fender” shaped bass; here is the same stand with two nonstandard body shapes:

The bottom of the stand adapts to the shape. Those stands cost like $15. My basses have ridden out earthquakes in them.

I do primarily use one of the leaning racks now though:

I think the basses actually fit better in the tripods.

3 Likes

I think I’ve found the perfect one. One of the reviews mentions my exact problem:

One really good feature, that I’ve seen someone else review as a negative, is that the bracket/seat for the base of the guitar swivels. On most stands its firmly fixed in place. Why is this a good thing? Well for anyone who’s tried to use a stand on a guitar with a weird shaped/angled bottom like a Jazz bass for example will know that they don’t usually sit well. The swivel bracket/seat on this stand allows a jazz bass to sit perfectly upright and cradled equally on its bottom edge.

5 Likes