Standing vs sitting?

But what about lazy people @PamPurrs? We have feelings too :disappointed_relieved:

4 Likes

I’ve just tried this.

Pros:

• Very comfortable for the lower back
  • Can take a nap during intros and outros
  • Solves neck dive issues
  • No need for a strap
  • Encourages playing without looking at your fingers

Cons:

• Can introduce bridge dive issues
  • Moving up and down the neck is difficult
  • Looking at the sheet music is difficult
  • Headphones keep sliding off

Overall I’d give it a ★★★☆☆

12 Likes

Eric Clapton had such a problem with alcohol in the 70s he often played lying down in concert.

6 Likes

In addition I would like to note that this position is much more successful (and comfortable) if one lies supine vs prone. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I could probably play laying down, but I can’t play sitting.

1 Like

Probably because you accidentally went to a jazz club :wink:

The Jazz bass design (as well as others with an offset waist like the Jazzmaster) was intended to be more comfortable for playing seated which was common at the time the bass was introduced.

3 Likes

Actually, it’s because of how low I like to play my bass. If I’m standing, it hangs below my waist where I like it. If I’m sitting, my thighs push it up to where it it’s just under my chin like an accordion. At least if I was prone I could have it down below my waist where I like it.

1 Like

I sometimes noodle around on the sofa but everything feels out of whack standing is much easier for me when siting the neck seems too horizontal

2 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback all. After trying both for a bit and paying attention to my form and the differences, I realized that I really need to focus on practicing standing up.

2 Likes

I stand more than sit…. Probably because I tend to wear my bass a bit low and when I sit, I may be closer in relationship to the fretboard, but that’s not how things are when I play live on stage. I guess it all depends on whether you’re gonna record in a studio or play on stage…. One thing (at least for me), my fretboard action is not the same from sitting to standing so for me to learn to play live, I have to stand - for me, there is a difference in relationships of how my fretting and plucking hands work together…. Just my opinion…. Practice on how you plan to actually play the song…

4 Likes

Agree for sure. Same thing with sax, the movement differences in how the instrument reacts to playing it is different too. Enough to throw one off for sure unless we’ll versed in both after time.

4 Likes

Get a tall stool and you can stand and sit at the same time. Problem solved! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve tried that. NOPE! My thighs are still in the way. The only replacement for standing would be to strap myself onto a slab that can tilt back onto a 45 degree angle LOL

3 Likes

As a general rule, if someone is strapping you onto a slab of anything you won’t be needing your bass .

2 Likes

Yeah, that crossed my mind, however I ask that you take note of the very important part of my statement on which I said “to strap myself onto a slab”. :smiley_cat:

3 Likes

I stand by my statement…there are other things afoot if strapping to a slab is involved.

1 Like

I’ll go play at the bus stop, they have those angled standing benches there… maybe I can make some money too :smiley:

3 Likes

I have trouble getting on them :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I have a bad ankle and a leg that is shorter than the other so it hurts to sit and to stand! But I sit first, then stand until my back hurts, then I isit again. But at least I’m PLAYING BASS!!! :metal:

10 Likes

I noticed that my stamina is much higher when I stand and play. However, when I practice or do a warm up, I like to sit and play.

2 Likes