Standing vs sitting?

Pam, when I played rock,as a kid, I permanently screwed a leather deal on my '68 Gibson EB-3, so it wouldn’t come off, while onstage. It was centered lower than my crotch, so I could jump off the stage with a long cord, and dance between people dancing.
No way the strap would aid you in a,seated position.
Over the years, I adopted a new position.

Hang it on you, so that when you lean back on a stool or couch, the strap lifts the bass slightly in your hands.
When you stand, it should be close enough to that height that you dont really notice the difference. Works for me, try it.

1 Like

Thanks for that @Boomhowertx , but I’m already very familiar with that method. However, it appears you haven’t read many of my comments. I hang my bass very low when I play, as low as the strap will allow (I wish I could go lower), so that method doesn’t work for me. I have a hard time playing with the bass up under my chin (like what happens when I sit), and certainly don’t want it there when I’m standing.
I’ve often said, if I wanted to play an instrument that touches my chin, I’d take up the accordion. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Or the violin :joy:

1 Like

Yeah, it doesn’t get much closer than that LOL

No Pam, I am,still trying to figure out how to find more of the threads. I just found your response, and,still dont know what all the little quing symbols are here, but I think I’m gonna like it here.
Yeah, I played mine low like that as a kid. Ive been disabled now since '98, so I carry a sturdy long legged flat folding stool nowadays.
Even at home, when I get up, I’m already looking for the next place I van sit down.

1 Like

I keep my basses just at my rib cage. The only time I struggle with the difference between standing and sitting is when slapping. The bass rides higher while sitting, which lets me get my elbow lower. When I try it standing, I really have to change the angle of my arm to get a solid slap.
As an aside, I should really get an extra strap so when I want to go fully Dee Dee Ramone, I can drop my bass to my waist and not break my wrist trying to downpick at 180bpm.

The thread is a bit old, but perhaps all the standing players may help a bit here…
I like to play standing but I’ve noticed that while the right foot is mostly busy tapping and keeping the rhythm, the left leg gets rigid and stiff, holding most of the weight too. If I don’t change posture every few minutes it starts getting achy, especially around the hip. It’s not a big deal when the playing is easy as bouncing/dancing/walking usually keeps the problem at bay, but when focusing more I go back to this posture in no time - slightly different leg length may also matter.
One easy solution is to sit down, which I do regularly. But still, I play a lot while standing and would like to hear if anybody had similar issues and how they dealt with it…

1 Like

The more you practice the more relaxed you will be.
Tension comes with nerves and anxiety.
Practice (and piles of it) turn something new into something old until it’s just like breathing.

1 Like

It happens
It’s the opposite for me, I tap with the left foot and rest on the right when standing… but I mostly sit
Anyways, you have the solution already: walk around, bounce or lean towards the left to relief the right or sit if need it
You will develop endurance over time, don’t worry

2 Likes