Stiff Pinky Finger please help

Hi! I was really hoping someone could help me out with this. Every time I play the bass and try to use my pinky, it’s always stiff and straight. This makes it really hard for me to move especially when it bends this way, I would like to strengthen my pinky but it’s hard to do that when this keeps happening. I would also like to mention that since it won’t curve, it messes me up when I’m fretting on a lower note because my pinky will touch the string.

7 Likes

It appears that you’re holding the bass with neck parallel to the floor. If that’s the case, your wrist is bent quite a bit, and, in order for your little finger to reach the E string, it has to stretch.

Everyone has different bodies and physiologies, but there are things you can do to improve your bass, wrist and fingering positions.

Try holding your bass neck pointing higher than parallel to the floor. Then try angling the neck away from your torso (experiment with a little, then more, etc.). Then try arching your wrist over the neck more, so your little finger can reach the E string easily and without pain in your wrist.

Essentially, the little finger is generally the weakest for most beginners. It takes time, practice and patience to build its strength and mobility. In other words, it’s like a newbie going to the gym and working out for the first few times: he/she will get very tired at first, but muscles do build up with repetition. Just keep at it. You got this.

7 Likes

@MikeC has said it beautifully - don’t worry, just experiment with your position. It’ll develop over time. :hugs:

You can also say hi over here: Introduce Yourself! (2024)

4 Likes

I struggled with that same thing. Try to keep your pinky relaxed when you can. Because the more it is locked in that position the likelier it will go there without you wanting it to. Hit those stretches and then relax as soon as possible. The more you play the better it will get.

My pinky still does it, especially when I play octaves, but it doesn’t stay locked as it used to.

4 Likes

Welcome @BassNewb81
It’s like Kung Fu, you are not going to be a master in a short period of time. but looks like you are getting there as many are still using ring finger.

While there’s nothing wrong with playing perpendicular or flat position it puts a lot more strain to the left wrist. I prefer this position and it took me a long time to get comfortable with this. The higher the angle the easier, more comfortable it would get. You can try it first.

The pinky is always the last one to get with the program.
But, if it’s messing things up and frustrating you, you can help it out.

In the hand position you photographed, the whole hand is flexed to the max to reach each fret - one finger per fret, all in their zones.
This is a very difficult thing to manage. I am 6’4" and have big hands, and I will not hold that position because it is too hard on my hand.

The key to getting the pinky to cooperate and to also build strength and be more comfortable on the bass is the micro shift.

Josh explains it in this video better than I can in text form:

Do you do this already?
Does the pinky still act up when you’re shifting your hand up to allow it to relax?

I think in order to help out with any more advice, I’d need to see a brief video of your fretting hand playing something on the bass.
But hopefully the micro-shift will help to solve the problem, give the pinky the time and support it needs to get solid, and then you can re-approach the more spread out and challenging reaches with a pinky that’s more trained for extreme bass playing.

5 Likes