Stool recommendations?

I’ve searched the forum but the most recent topic seems to be from mid 2020. I need a proper stool for practice, as my desk chair just hurts my hips and bum after a while. I practice both sitting down and standing up. I don’t stand the whole time because I have problems with my feet, and general old-lady-bones.

Any recs for a great stool?

Thanks for indulging yet another question from this newbie.

4 Likes

I have been using a drummers stool and an office swivel chair depending on where I’m practicing

6 Likes

I think @PamPurrs used a drum throne at some point also.

If I needed a stool, that’s the route I would go.

7 Likes

This is what I have for drumming, it’s super comfortable and has a hydraulic shock. I can sit on this for hours.

And this is what I bought for playing my bass. These are all basically the same thing and I can’t sit on them for more than 20 minutes. I would avoid these.

7 Likes

Yeah I have a drum stool that I used to use on the rare occasion that I sit while practicing (now it’s just wasting space in my studio).
Now I use this K&M stool, which is incredibly comfortable .

3 Likes

it damned well better be for $450 :joy: I do like that foot rest bar it has, though.

7 Likes

Lol yeah it is pricey, but worth it. I got mine at Adorama for $390 on sale.

P.S. I used the money I’ve saved since being cured of MBD and Pedalmania. :smiley_cat:

7 Likes

I picked up this guy at Guitar Center about a year ago - it works fine. Although most of the time I end up either standing or using a kitchen chair because I like lumbar support

2 Likes

I see you’re in Australia but you might be able to find something similar to this cushion that I purchased off Amazon for $39.99. My desk chair at home is wood and is super uncomfortable to sit on for an extended period of time. I purchased this and I’m impressed with the difference. The brand name, if it’s not obvious, is “Everlasting Comfort.” Kinda disappointed that it didn’t come with a hand to grab my butt while I was practicing but it is what it is.

8 Likes

I used to use this throne but the problem with drum throne is when it does the job so well sticking to the floor. I need something that would allow me to move the chair with a little less resistance.
https://www.proaudiostar.com/roland-rdtshv-saddle-drum-throne.html?utm_source=Google_Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwhNWZBhB_EiwAPzlhNjvVXXPriyyp7NwoEm7qwQZm5UuPuBD_-D-1-k2G_Tu2eWNt0RT-rxoCb3QQAvD_BwE

5 Likes

This is what I use for drumming as well, fantastic throne but nowhere near the cheapest. When I play guitar or bass I virtually always stand up. The only time I sit down is when I’ve done my back in with too much gardening or similar!

3 Likes

These are the two I use depending on how im feeling. A Gibson padded stool or my office chair that I cut the armrests off. I used to use my drum throne, and that works fine but I got sick of moving it back and forth.

4 Likes

Toto is the best, we have 3 in our house

6 Likes

Rocnsoc.com has thrones with casters.

1 Like

You might need to refer to the Bristol Stool Scale if you’re using that. It’s a real scale and it was invented in Bristol!

2 Likes

@Barney , don’t you have a bass to practice? ICK.

2 Likes

I wonder if you can program your Toto to listen to Toto. Although hnnngggghhhh I don’t think I can ever hear that Toto song again without thinking that the lyrics are about going to the toilet… Hurry boy, it’s waiting there for you.

On a serious note though, I didn’t realise it was possible to love a toilet until I went to Japan. In fact the last photo I took on my travels was of the massive Toto ad at Narita airport. We’re going to be renovating a bathroom and at the very least I want a toilet with a heated seat.

@barney I’m very familiar with the Bristol stool chart, thanks to one of my kids who thought it was hilarious for a long time and tried to do the stool chart version of Rickrolling me, which I fell for many times.

Thanks everyone for your recs. I think the Toto wins as a potential ‘throne’, ha ha…

1 Like

This is what I use. Park Tool swiveling shop seat. Hydraulic adjustable height.

I like the fact that a can swivel slightly in it. It seems to be better for my back. It’s the same principle as a drum throne I guess.

I took the rollers of and just use fixed feet.

Aussie bike shop link for you.

4 Likes

Used it for the past 3 years.

3 Likes

I was going to post “all these replies and not a single one making stool jokes; I’m shocked and disappointed”… then I got to yours :joy:

I was wondering, if you put a cushion on your wooden stool, does that make it a stool softener? :thinking:

3 Likes