Sweetwater ... Lordy

Ah, gotcha.

Well, you could request to deal with Chris Shura, if you want to switch reps.

2 Likes

I just contacted Sweetwater about some cables and some strings. My rep did not answer so they sent me to another rep, Andy Rice. He is a bass player and knows his shit. He recommended Jumperz cables as I was having problems with the tips of mine unscrewing all the time. Jumperz have a little rubber sock(?) that holds everything tight and in place. I wanted to get flats for my 54P and we talked about what I liked and did not like, the music I played and the type bass they were going on. I love my TI flats but really did not want to re-set the 54P which would have to be done if I got TI’s again. After talking 15 minutes he suggeste LaBella LTF’s or RotoSound Monel Flats. I went with the Roto’s as he and I thought the tensions would be fairly close to the Ken Smith Burners that are on the 54P right now. He is knowledgeable and thorough and knows more about bass guitars and playing than I will ever know. Look him up on your next bass order if you want someone that will walk you through and have knowledge of what he is speaking to.

3 Likes

@EddieJones I Talked to my rep this morning, asking him about the Mogami pedal cables I want and when they might come in. He recommended Jumperz and was very high on them. I guess the folks at Sweetwater got to know him and really believe in his product, with everything being made in Michigan. I’m going to wait for the Mogami’s (brand loyal), but they really believe in the Jumperz.

5 Likes

Great to know, Eddie. My Sweetwater guy, Chris Shura, is a good dude, but he’s not a bass player. I might just have to switch my account to Andy Rice.

Also, if I decide to put different flats on my P (I have D’A Chromes on my Cutlass right now), from doing research, I was leaning towards La Bella Low Tension Flats. There are tons of longtime players who swear by them. I did run across several mentions of the Roto Monels, as well. I might have to ask Andy what he recommends.

4 Likes

I’m using the LTFs on my fretless Jazz bass and I quite enjoy them.

4 Likes

Keep in mind they may be recommending things that they have a lot of.
They are paid to sell after all.
That said they do look like an exact copy of the Mogami Gold patch cable design at 1/3 the cost. I have not seen them on the site before (or heard of them for that matter) so these are very new products for them, and may be told ‘push them’.

4 Likes

@John_E Agreed. Sticking with my Mogami’s. I am brand loyal (Is there any other TV other than a Sony?). In anticipation of putting my upcoming pedalboard together I bought the Mogami pedal connectors and now, months later, I realize that all but two of the pedals are top connecting, so I’m waiting for those to come in stock.

3 Likes

@EddieJones I reached out to Andy Rice to find out how I could switch my account to him. He worked it out with my former rep and everything’s good. Got me a new bass-savvy rep. :+1:

3 Likes

I use the new too but wish the connectors weren’t so obnoxious.
Board would be a lot cleaner

3 Likes

When I found out he was a true bass guy (he told me but it was also in his bio along with his bands music) I asked to be changed to him right then. He is very knowledgeable and talked with me for about 15 minutes. I even called back after reading on talkbass that the Rotosound 45-105 flats were super high tension and he assured me that any variances could easily be handled by my bass and they were comparable to all others except the TI Jazz flats or the LaBella LTF’s.

4 Likes

Don’t waste his time, I think you owe Mr. Rice a bass purchase :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

Hee, hee, hee… :grin:

2 Likes

Andy is my rep as well. He’s a cool dude.

https://www.sweetwater.com/andy_rice

4 Likes

Just catching up on discussions, still a few days behind.

LaBella ltf are very much like TIs. Like TIs, they have a round core (DTF have a hex core), and like TIs they are stronger mid range and high, and are bendier.

Compared to Roto 77, they are similar. I have Ti, LTF, and 77s (and Steve Harris) on different basses. I consider them modern flats, where the hex core are in my mind traditional flats (DTF, D’A, EB)

So which is better? None.

I like how the 77s pair on a PJ

I like how the LTFs play rock on a P

I like the DTF on the Stinger and doing Old School

I like Harris on a Duncan SPB4

For everyday, I would do D’A or LTF, but 77s really go well on a PJ

3 Likes

I got the 77’s today. They will be going on my 54P. I think they will play nice together. They are really, really smooth to the touch. As smooth as my TI flats on my jazz.

2 Likes

I like them better than TI

2 Likes

I think the higher tension will suit the ability to set up a really low action.

2 Likes

I love my TI flats on the Jazz bass. I really do. However, my Fender flats at a higher tension were able to get a super low action with no clang or clack and sounded wonderful as well. I really think the 77’s are going to turn my 54P into a beast. It is already my favorite

1 Like

I hate to sound trite but these Roto’s are the bomb. I know it is the first session playing them and everyone loves everything at first but here are my first impressions. High tension. Makes low action a breeze. These things go boom. Also, they are bright out of the package and I’ve read they mellow out well. I had to roll my tone control way down to tame the highs. Once done, the notes bloom beautifully. I did notice the output was lower but a quick twist of the volume knob solved that. They feel good under my fingers. I had to adjust action and intonation but that was easy. Super low action can be achieved easily with no clang. Fingers were flying without hindrance. I dare say I really seem to like higher tension strings, or at least my fingers do. We’ll wait a while and get them broken in before I pass final judgment.

5 Likes

TIL Sweetwater was relatively recently bought by a large private equity group. So the change in quality and service some have seen might not be a coincidence.

https://www.reddit.com/r/audioengineering/comments/p48okz/sweetwater_music_bought_by_a_private_equity_firm/

3 Likes