Synth Pedal - where in the train?

I am seriously considering the Source Audio C4 Synth pedal.
The Culture Club song I covered was originally a synth bass and I thought it would be fun to closer replicate a lot of the 80s songs I love, and just mess around for fun.
This thing is nuts with sounds you can make and has stellar tracking.

I have been reading on where folks put in it the train.
One suggests at the very front after the tuner so it has the cleanest sound to track, makes sense to me.

Anyone have any experience?

1 Like

Can’t help with this one - for synth bass I use synthesizers :slight_smile:

I would guess you want it right after your compressor though, basically second in the chain, even before octavers. Generally you want tone generators there, before tone modifiers, before modulation.

1 Like

I was thinking pre compressor in case I wanted to use compression on it, but makes sense to knock out the spikes before it too, will try it both ways and see.

1 Like

Could get a second compressor for later in the chain :slight_smile:

Only half joking, there’s a pretty solid use for compression after distortion too, but it’s not where you would want your only compressor to be.

2 Likes

Well, it should be set early in the chain. You might have to test a few possibilities depending on the pedals you use.

Here’s a really helpful schematic:

1 Like

Yes I have that picture saved, which is exactly why I was confused on the synth.

My logic is this… I want to turn my bass into a synth bass, so the pedal is essentially part of the instrument, so put it way way upfront and then fiddle with effects on the synth bass (if desired).

I get that putting it in other places might make for some VERY cool sounds, but considering the complexity of this pedal I really don’t think I will need to do this.

A worldwide user upload able cloud of synth settings should keep me busy for a LONG time.

1 Like

Well, it might be useful to put it after a compressor to even out the sound, but putting it first might be interesting as well. Might result in some unexpected sounds :grin:

1 Like

I actually use my C4 after my distortion. It’s has a really nice sound when you add some dirt to your synths/filters imo. I always turn my compressor off when I use heavy distortion or synth.

You can also do octaves on the C4. If you like that then I would personally place it after the compressor but before distortion.

2 Likes

I am only fully serious.
I have 3 compressors, nothing wrong with more compression, especially if you get a compression / sustainer, or Limiter / enhancer that adds a boost after you go thru a few pedals like OD / Distortion / Fuzz, and Octaver, and Synth.

Of course, like most pedal chains, it comes down to trying it out, and seeing what you like.

1 Like

It’s so funny. Between guitar, bass, drums and vocals on our last cover I ended up using twelve.

2 Likes

Thats All? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Hihi using compressors in mixing & mastering is much more common. It’s kinda normal to have some kind of (glue) compression for every channel. Compressors really shine for vocals and drums. Do you use any kind of sateration too @howard ?

Sometimes, not too much; mostly in either bass stuff using Multipass and saturating the mids a little, or on vocals and the master using iZotope’s builtins. Or when making a distortion effect in Multipass.

I have a limiter plugin I like a lot that adds some saturation color; I am using it less now that I have mostly moved to iZotope though.

2 Likes

I need to spend a lot more time understanding compression. It’s on my list of more crap to learn.