Tell us your funniest misheard lyric

We’ve all done it, sang out loud to a song only to discover your personal take on a song wasn’t what the writer had in mind. The most famous one is probably Jimi Hendrix’s Purple Haze with “'Scuse me while I kiss this guy” instead of “'Scuse me while I kiss the sky”.

My ex wife used to love singing along to Free’s Wishing Well, I still shudder at the thought process that lead her to sing “And the only time that you are satisfied is when you’ve peed in the wishing well” instead of “And the only time that you are satisfied is with your feet in the wishing well”

So tell us about the funniest acicidentally alternative lyric you have heard

4 Likes

“Wrapped up like a douche another runner in the night”-Manfred Mann. When I was a kid we thought saying “douche” in the song was so funny. Only later in life did I find out it was “deuce”.

10 Likes

They got their own wikipedia entry - they’re called Mondegreens :smile:

4 Likes

One that @Deidheid will remember for sure. The Police song So Lonely. This chorus repeats again and again.
In school my friend used to sing the name of a famous BBC newsreader ‘Sue Lawley’ instead of So Lonely. That was 40 years ago and it’s still stuck in my head.

And I can only play that part
And sit and nurse my broken heart
Sue Lawley
Sue Lawley
Sue Lawley
Sue Lawley

https://youtu.be/MX6MvV8cbh8?t=46

6 Likes

So many.

Creedence Clear Water’s Bad Moon Rising was infamous. And everywhere.

Instead of:

There’s a bad moon on the rise

People often thought it said:

There’s a bathroom on the right

6 Likes

Also, Robert Palmer’s “Addicted to Love” was often misinterpreted to have been aimed at his MTV-era contemporary, Michael Jackson.

Instead of:

You might as well face it
You’re addicted to love

Some people thought it said:

You’re a d;¢k with a glove

9 Likes

My wife jokes that she hears it like this:

You’re a d;ck head in love

5 Likes

I recall reading that when Jack White of White Stripes was a child he misheard “Salvation Army” as “Seven Nation Army.”

5 Likes

The one that always cracks me up is pretty niche, but it’s Underworld’s Cowgirl. It has a line “…and a razor of love”, which everyone hears as “an eraser of love”, so much that online lyrics sites list it both ways. And the band plays off it too; pretty sure it’s intentional, they are clever that way, and they use both in the video, flashing between the two subliminally on the same line, and also “reason” and “raisin?” :rofl:

2 Likes

The BASS GUITAR is funny. Wait for it.

https://youtu.be/q7oSI0kyyMc

2 Likes

Misheard Japanese is always good for a laugh.

2 Likes

I was in the camp of hearing “you can go and get stuffed” for When the Going Gets Tough.

3 Likes

Tiny Dancer by Elton John being heard as
“Hold me closer Tony Danza”

6 Likes

This one was so common that Bruce Springsteen sang it as douche.

I once saw a conversation between Bruce and one of the members of Manfred Mann saying he should have used douche instead and then it would have done as well as Bruce’s cover. :rofl:

5 Likes

I heard a girl who thought the lyric was…

“Bingo Jed had a light on”
Instead of…
“Big ol jet airliner”

For decades I thought I heard…

“Marlins come out of the sky”
Instead of…
“Mountains come out of the sky”

The idea there would be a weird line about a fish coming out of the sky made perfect sense considering Yes and the song Roundabout. I was kind of disappointed when I found out the song wasn’t weird at all and was just about going for a drive.

3 Likes

I thought the same thing, it really sounds like it and with Jon Anderson (of shining flying purple wolfhounds fame) it made sense

2 Likes

Great thread :slight_smile:

Loaded, by primal scream. In it, the woman sings, “i dont wanna lose your love”.

And for some mad reason my head translates that as, “Im going on the loo tonight”!

Which is madness because its not even vaguely similar!

2 Likes

This is the one I was gonna post! I’m not sure if deuce is much better, eh? My toilet humour brain immediately conjures a particular slang definition. :poop: (Don’t wrap it up! Even if it’s the middle of the night! Flush it! For the love of god!) :rofl:

3 Likes

:100: I always sing it that way & imagine Angela at the piano.

2 Likes

Hey, sorry to be “that guy,” but Bruce wrote and recorded Blinded by the Light before Manfred Mann recorded it.

2 Likes