Thanks Josh!

Haha no apology necessary @howard , it never gets old hearing about people’s success with the course. It’s gratifying to have put so many hundreds and hundreds (maybe thousands now?) of hours into BassBuzz and see it having actual results in the lives of you and others!

Happy to hear you’re jamming with people! That’s the best.

Me either! Must be because bass players are inherently awesome?

And thanks to you too @joergkutter, for the appreciation, and all your contributing to the forum, with helpful advice and awesome music shares. Really appreciate having you around!

:blush: :heart:

8 Likes

Let me also add my thanks along with @howard and @joergkutter . . . :slight_smile:

Just finished the course today after four and a half months, and it was an excellent experience, @JoshFossgreen!

It’s obvious that you spent a great deal of time and put a lot of thought into planning and implementing it. Your teaching style is relaxed and thorough, making the course fun as well as instructive! I appreciated the way you kept emphasizing and repeating key points throughout the entire course.

The GOOD: I did remarkably well towards the end, particularly with improvisation (which was my biggest concern at the beginning of the course). Learning the major and minor scales, the “funk box”, fingering techniques, and concepts such as roots and fifths, thirds, triads, octaves, etc. etc. were most helpful to me, and I think of them as a “language” with which I can now use to accurately communicate with bandmates. Bravo!

The BAD: A good deal of the “music theory” parts of the course was difficult for me to thoroughly grasp. I had never had any musical training until your course. Couldn’t tell a quarter note from a rest, time signatures, syncopation, etc. Now, at least, I have some grounding and can explore these areas more fully as needs be, as I continue to progress.

The UGLY: Try as I might, I completely failed at the “slap and pop” part of your course. After numerous attempts, I finally gave up and completed it using the standard fingering technique. I guess some “old dogs” just can’t learn new tricks . . . :frowning:

Anyway, your course is certainly worth the money and I would definitely recommend it to others! Next, I will spend some time going back over parts of it to review my weaker areas, and to explore the Course Extras as well.

I look forward to continue improving my skills as a bass player, and to enjoy my time here on these Forums.

Thanks again and all best, Joe

6 Likes

Thanks Joe! Congrats on making it all the way through, and I appreciate all the enthusiasm you’ve shared here on the forum along the way!

Feel free to post if there are any specific concepts that still feel foggy, I’m always happy to help. It helps me make even better stuff in the future to get feedback like that!

Yeah, that’s a tricky one! Even a whole Module of six or so lessons is barely enough to explain all the basics of how that technique works, it really merits a whole course.

If you want to give it another try, feel free to throw up a video of your slapping hand in action and I can probably help you get to a happier place. I’m sure @Gio would have some suggestions too.

Thanks for sharing your experience Joe!

3 Likes

Josh,

I just want to reiterate all the sentiments shared here, having just finished B2B!

Hugs man!! I feel like we’ve been hanging out, you are a super gifted teacher, and it’s probably way more than 30 hours, considering how many replays I did, due to not paying attention or botching the playalong :slight_smile: And I’m not even done yet, going to take your suggestions there in the Final Quiz, so I’m excited to continue learning, and also go back through B2B again, and get more polished.

I also really appreciate how you come into the forums and modules and help us with questions. I’m not only a badass bass-ka-teer now, but I also understand and enjoy music in general so much more, thanks to you. (Still realistically closer to beginner than badass, but hey, I’m pretty decent now, and I don’t suck anymore :grin: ) And playing bass is so much more fun when you don’t suck, haha. I had a blast too - I feel like a little kid each day with a new toy, I just play and have fun, and the learning just sort of happens…!

Vik

9 Likes

Congratulations, @Vik . . . :slight_smile:

Glad to see you made it!

4 Likes

Thanks so much @Vik! Glad you’ve got so much out of the course. Maybe “Don’t Suck Anymore” would be a good name for another course. :stuck_out_tongue:

And yeah I’m always happy to help! And honestly, now that the forum is populated with so many kind thoughtful people and interesting topics, I look forward to the part of my day when I come here to “help” (i.e. drool over other people’s basses and listen to cool music :yum:)

7 Likes

or for a band :smile:

5 Likes

Definitely a band name @terb , but despite being really quite British, I’d be tempted to go with Don’t Suck No More.

3 Likes

So it’s my turn ! I’m now very officially a bass badass :partying_face: and I even managed to get the super-ultimate-magical-imaginary-gold-super-badass-medal as I checked every single item on the two final quiz checklists :sunglasses:

I wanted to go for the 3-month schedule but I finished the course in one and a half month. I’ve been quick on the first modules, and after that I’ve been very hyped to go to the next lesson so it’s been a quicker journey than expected.

I wanted to thank you very much @JoshFossgreen as the course itself is really well made, I love the way you teach everything very clearly and with a very happy and positive attitude, I also love your small jokes all over the lessons :grin: I guess you were not alone to create all this course (including the website and everything) so I’d like to thank all the team as well.

Speaking about the website, as I’m an IT engineer I can say it (including the forum) is very well made, very clear and efficient. That’s again a great point.

About my personnal experience with the course : my goal was to “reset” my bass learning from the begining, with a more scolar/accademic approach. I’m more than happy with that, as the course made me understand many things that I already used but that I had not really integrated and understood properly. The course also learnt me a lot about the finger plucking technique, and that’s a huge thing for the pick player I am. When I started the course I was not able to alternate plucking properly, and now I can play hard rock chugging with ease, that’s really cool.

As I’m here I also want to thank everybody here, the community on this forum is really great. A special thank to @Gio who helps a lot with detailed analysis and advices ! That’s very useful and appreciated !

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

10 Likes

Congratulations to you too, @terb . . . :+1:

You did it in record time!

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

thank you @Jazzbass19 !

that was not intended !

2 Likes

Virtual high five, @terb!! Well done!

3 Likes

Congrats @terb! I’m really glad the course was helpful for you even though you came in with some bass experience.

And thanks for all your great contributions on the forum! It’s good having you around. Merci beaucoup!

3 Likes

Congrats! that’s awesome.

3 Likes

Completed B2B a couple of days ago. Played my first full-version-play-along today - “With or without you” from 50 First Songs. Feeling pretty happy and pleased with myself. This course has been pure gold. I’m looking forward to the next course. :grinning:

8 Likes

Good for you, @Don_D . . . and congratulations! . . . :clap::clap:

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Congrats @Don_D! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, thanks here from me too. Just re-read the pedal-in-a-bass page and yr help and encouragement shine through. I wouldn’t be involved with that at all without BassBuzz. Really glad to be a member of this forum. And now I’m working on my full Jedi capabilities! Can’t say enough about all yr hard work man, I really appreciate it.

4 Likes

Thanks @muff, it’s great having you around! :blush:

3 Likes

Thank You @JoshFossgreen!!

On July 13, 2019 I purchased my first Bass (I now own two), and on July 15 I signed up for your B2B course……

I completed my final course lesson yesterday afternoon Sept 11 – in just under two months. I am now not only a ‘Badass’, but an official “Super Badass”!

Having played guitar for the past 60+ years, I wanted to take a course that would allow me to learn a new instrument the ‘correct’ way yet provide me the freedom to be able to set my own learning schedule. Living in the country and being miles away from any town or city poses an additional challenge when looking for any local experienced music teachers – there just aren’t any – the B2B online course was the perfect solution!

With very limited internet capabilities where I live (no internet – just limited cell phone coverage), I was able to take and complete this course online using my cell phone and my MBP. This alone shows that the IT team that put this course (and website) together knew exactly what they were doing for all 109 lessons (and forum) to stream pretty much flawlessly for me using nothing more than a cell phone ‘hotspot’! Yes, there were a few times when ‘buffering’ took place, but I suppose that just forced me to concentrate a little more on my ‘timing’ techniques…

Your teaching style and technique are remarkable in that you truly interact in a very personable way that makes each lesson a virtual ‘new’ experience. Many times, I’ve stumbled into my music room after watching the morning or evening news with a somewhat ‘sour’ attitude towards life here on planet earth yet, after just a few minutes into a lesson, that attitude just disappeared, and all order was reestablished. Must be that “Force”….

All this being said, the ONE most important thing that I have learned by taking this B2B course was “Diversity”…. You were able to do something within my being that no (and I mean NO) formal training, classes, etc. that I was ‘forced’ to attend as a Manager within the Federal Government workforce was able to accomplish… I learned that being more ‘Diverse as a Musician’ opened my soul to being more ‘Diverse as a Human’….

For this one thing I will eternally be grateful.

“May The Force Be With You!”

Bill “Lanny” Lanahan
Fort Valley, Georgia USA

12 Likes