That laptop speakers thing

I’ve been looking for some decent speaker systems that carry a good bass sound that will plug strait in to my laptop for play back and play along purposes. Any tech guru ideas? Thanks

4 Likes

Budget kind of plays a roll here. The BEST as far as sound would be a DAI and a set of studio monitors. Brand not super important, some are better quality than others, but even the low end ones sound fantastic. It’s almost as good as coming right from an amp.

Outside of that, probably some Bluetooth options, and some computer system speakers even have a subwoofer.

2 Likes

Way Cool, any specific brand of DIA ?

1 Like

DAI my bad

1 Like

That’s a can of worms, and you will get a million recommendations/preferences. I REALLY like Presonus and the Audiobox 96. For an entry level it is great quality. StudioOne the DAW that comes with it is the closest thing to ProTools, but is easier to use/more intuitive. Again, these are my preferences, and budget plays a role. For about $250 you could get what I mentioned and monitors.

2 Likes

I got these last year and I’m very happy with them.

6 Likes

They look pretty good, @JerryP

2 Likes

Thanks, I added those to my Amazon cart for later purchase. I just spent nearly $400 on a new GoPro camera so I’m going to have to put off that purchase for awhile.

2 Likes

Looks like a cool deal on the Audiobox 96. I have a pair of old Cerwin Vega studio monitors that may just pair up with Presonus. thanks for the input’

4 Likes

I use them when I’m mixing my audio. My headphones don’t work well with my hearing aid so I like to mix with open ears.

6 Likes

Way Cool on the Edifier R1280T Powered Bookshelf Speakers. Check a lot of reviews. So pulled the trigger and ordered them. Thanks @JerryP
And it turns out , my Son has a Scarlett Solo interface that he’s not using, I’m set there. @kerushlow, Thanks for the input.

5 Likes

A DAI is a DAI! Glad you found solutions!

3 Likes

Wow, that’s a great price for something you are happy with! It seems like there’s so much good gear in the lower price ranges these days.

3 Likes

I just got logitec z623 for christmas. they have a 10" powered sub and two satellites. the right satellite speaker has volume and bass, you can dial down the bass if you want to play along, or crank it if you are listening. they will rattle the windows.

3 Likes

I know it’s not what you asked, but I use two different solutions right now for playing along with a song.

1. When I’m on the couch chilling, I plug my laptop into my VOX amPlug 2’s Aux Input and use nice headphones to be able to listen to what’s on my laptop and what I’m playing on bass. There is a volume level for the Aux and the Bass to get the levels right.

2. When I’m on the computer, I have my bass going into my DAI (which is connected to my PC), and studio monitors hooked up to my DAI as well. Anything I play on the computer or bass comes through the same output then. I have a blend knob so I can get the volume levels between the PC and bass right. I use the headphone jack on my monitors if I want less background noise, or just the monitors direct if the house is quieter (I live in a mad house, so this is rare).

If I was doing it again, I might consider the Darkglass Element, which is a portable headphone amp, DAI, cab sim, fancy thing-a-ma-jig, but it’s not cheap.

2 Likes

Computer -> DAI -> studio monitors here.

3 Likes

This. About half the time.
The other half: Darkglass Element.

4 Likes

I don’t play bass through computer however I do have a set of studio monitors hooked up to the ccomputer for everything else and can thoroughly recommend these for handling bass really well:

3 Likes

The nice thing about DAI’s is the good ones have direct monitoring. My bass goes directly out of the DAI to the monitors (unless I choose to have it go through the computer first by turning the knob)

2 Likes

I’ve had these little Bose speakers hooked up to my TV for about 8 years until I replaced them with a sound bar. Now, I have them connected to my DAI so I can listen to the tracks from Reaper and from the drum machine through them instead of running everything through the speakers in the cab.
They sound great for how small they are.

6 Likes