Compact monitoring speakers?

Hello everyone !
I would like to dedicate one of my laptop (dell xps 2019 / ubuntu studio) for everything related to bass (specifically, bassbuzz course, recording etc). So I would need speakers with it, and compact with that (I don’t have that much space). I’ve just finish reading topics such as this one :

… which has basically (almost) everything I needed to know, but the gear list was for 2021.
I was going for the PreSonus Eris E4.5 4.5 but is there anything better (more suitable ?) for bass maybe in 2023/2024 ? Also, I know some of you use this kind of setup, do you have specifics advices for this setup scenario ?

Thanks for your advices !

I have the Eris 4.5. Whilst I’m not hugely knowledgeable about these things the one thing that is noticeable, and a little surprising, is it is rather heavy on the bass. I have read this elsewhere so it’s not just my bad ear! I have had to turn the bass response down, so thank goodness it does have the tone controls.

I like the flexibility of it. I can plug the computer or an mp3 player into it via the 3.5mm plugs. I can plug the monitor output from my Focusrite DAI with a pair of 6.35mm plugs. I can plug the output of my preamp into it via either the 3.5mm or 6.35mm plugs and have it work as a small practice system.

Certainly works for me and not too expensive!

1 Like

That versatility seems to be what I’m looking for. I didn’t expect your answer on the bass response, so it’s also a plus for me.
I assume you have the “cable” version (I can see a BT version) ?

1 Like

Paging Dr. @howard to the monitor ward :smile:

1 Like

I have the Presonus E3 BT (space is an issue for me too) and they work fine. For music they are wired into my DI and connect to my PC via USB. I’ve used the BT for other mobile devices, and have had no issues there either. I like that the main power is on the front of the active speaker instead of on the back like most monitors. For the size and price point, they are decent monitors. I will replace them at some point when I can get more space, but they are doing fine for now.

3 Likes

Yup I have the cable version. Fits in better with what I already have.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I’m not sick but I would welcome his medical monitoring prescription nonetheless ^^’

1 Like

Honestly the E3’s are ideal if you’re limited for space, they’re insanely cheap, barely much bigger than an average pc speaker, and sound surprisingly great!

Ha!

Well I did look in to this a lot.

One thing I would recommend is checking out this guy’s channel - he does side by sides with lots of monitors and includes frequency response graphs he measures:

Now for a recommendation - I would recommend taking a look at JBL. They box way above their weight class and are inexpensive. I love mine, which actually might work well for you; I own the JBL 305P mk II. Here it is against a slightly larger Presonus:

To my ears they have superior clarity and quality of sound. And in fact stand up well against the larger Yamaha HS7:

3 Likes

I like the 3.5” and BT. It’s plenty for a small desk. Though I gave the pair to my daughter and got the 5” model I think that the 3.5” is great.

While not bassy there’s plenty of definition and thump.

1 Like

Thanks for your infos, @howard. The 6-track comparison seems like a close battle to me, but with the JBL as the definitive winner (at least to my ears, and for at least 4 of 6 tracks).
Now, I’ve just looked up for a pair of JBL (amazon france) and it’s almost 2x times the price of the Presonus (E4.5, not E5).
Overall, since I can see other people happy with the Presonus, I think I should stick with it unless I find a good deal for the JBL (looking into it right now !)
Again, thanks for your infos

1 Like

Really? Weird. The JBL’s cost less here.

1 Like

I dare say you’re closer to China than France is. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yeah, but… JBL is based in LA :slight_smile:

But the speakers are made in China, ne sont-ils pas?

1 Like

Yeah but so are Presonus :slight_smile:

‘Tis what it is. :man_shrugging:

Is that a subtle way to tell me I should look into aliexpress :laughing: ?

It’s a not so subtle a way to say…buy what you like, as always. :wink:

By the way, “buy what you like” is anathema to “it depends.” It is my credo.

1 Like

I’d order my gear from Thomann instead of Amazon if I were you:

JBL: € 147
Presonus: € 188

Even better deals available if you don’t mind buying B-stock.

2 Likes