THAT SONG IS AGAINST THE RULES!

As we all know, when you go into a guitar shop, it’s completely against the rules (LOL) to play “Stairway to Heaven” on a guitar. What is that one song for bass? Or, is there one?

3 Likes

Smoke on the Water?

3 Likes

Pink Floyd’s Money.

Edit: let me clarify the above a bit. Last time I was in a GC - when I traded in my Dimension - I was playing a whole lotta basses. I was playing some DEVO, some Garbage, a wee bit o’ Matisyahu, kinda hovering around licks from those three acts. The guy who was helping me actually came over and said, “hey, thanks for not playing Money.”

Maybe the subtext was “you suck so bad I’m glad you’re not butchering Money like these others”, I dunno. :smiley:

4 Likes

As someone who has worked in a music shop and still teaches at one… I can’t think of one. Most commonly played bass lines would be (in the order of my imperfect remembrance)

Higher Ground (chili peppers, and never played correctly)
Smells Like Teen Spirit
Blink 182 intro… Carousel I think?
Maybe Longview by Green Day?

It was always pretty varied and random from bass land. And because you’re selling 1 bass to every 10 guitars, even if they all played the same thing, it would be a welcome change from, well, guitar.

8 Likes

In all the times I’ve ever demoed a bass in a store, the only recognizable riffs I’ve played have been It’s Getting Near Dawn, Billy Jean, or Money. Mainly, I’ve just toyed around with various scales and some improvised walking basslines. I’ve never had a crowd gather around me, nor has anyone ever paid any attention to me at all.

5 Likes

I thought Seven Nation Army was forbidden, especially since the studio recording has no bass guitar :thinking:

12 Likes

Yes! Agree 100%! LOL

1 Like

Hysteria has to be up there too.

I’ve been trying to think of a funny riff to use for trying out instruments. Maybe something like the Imperial March from Star Wars.

4 Likes

RAD.

That would be awesome to walk into a GC or summat and hear that playing!

2 Likes

IKR? I bet you could get someone to jam along.

1 Like

It should be a rule, that you MUST play that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you play the original bass line its quite complex especially around the lead guitar break. I only know this because I am struggling with it at the moment :grin:

6 Likes

The only one of these I’ve been guilty of so far is Higher Ground. :grimacing:

I think the one thing the store clerks hear from me the most is August 10 by Khruangbin.

3 Likes

Oh, I know, @Mac. :sweat_smile:

But I meant just the riff everybody thinks of whenever Smoke on the Water is mentioned.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, that one lol :joy:

2 Likes

I’m blessed that my local music store ( shout out to Indiana music garage!) Is totally good with People playing anything, no matter their skill level. I actually apologized to the staff because my play isn’t what it could be. their response was " no one starts out as a professional"

Here’s to local music stores, and the people who staff them!

9 Likes
7 Likes

The repetition of 666 is s quite disturbing :joy:

4 Likes

It’s the corruption of the Dark Side, @Mac

5 Likes

:joy:

3 Likes