THE BLUES JAM SIMULATOR! - Blues Vid Supplement

THE BLUES JAM SIMULATION!

Hail bassists of BassBuzz!

I’ve had a goal for a long time here at BassBuzz to bring more real-world music-making scenarios to people who maybe don’t have access to clubs/bands/jam sessions. Or, for folks who just want more things to jam with.

If you watched Josh’s most recent video like I did, you are now deep in the land of the blues.

I made this post-video-supplement to give you some live-music scenarios where the video skills will instantly come in handy.

I offer you: THE BLUES JAM SIMULATOR!

Choose your setting:

BEGINNER MODE = You read the prompt, listen to the playalong, check out the chart, look at the sample bass line offered and then listen to the playalong with the sample bass line. Learn that sample bass line. When it feels good, play that line with the playalong. If that feels good, open things up a bit, and see if you can add your own ideas with…

STANDARD MODE = You read the prompt, play the playalong, and check out the chart. Maybe you listen once or twice before you decide to jump in. Take your time, and come in confident with a bass line of your choice.
If that feels easy, maybe you’re ready for…

HARDCORE MODE = You just read the prompt, and then hit play and go. Do your best! Trial by Fire, baby!!

You grab your bass and head down to the local bar, Gio’s All Night Pizza And Coffee Hut, for the weekly blues jam.

Inside it’s packed wall-to-wall with, you guessed it, guitar players wearing banded hats, flowing shirts, and massive necklaces. You’re the only bassist.
In no time at all you’re on stage. You’ve barely plugged in before the keyboard player leans over to you and hisses “shuffle, key of A.”

The drummer counts it off, and you’re on.

THE PLAYALONG:

THE CHART + TIPS

THE SAMPLE TAB + EXPLANATION

You’ve been having a lovely time at the campfire and/or music party.
The people are pleasant and interesting, the people playing music are playing good music, and - most importantly - the food is excellent.

You’ve been chatting with folks all night and in your relaxed and comfortable state, have let it slip that you play the bass.

Suddenly, your name is loudly and authoritatively called. You have been summoned to play bass. (The regular bassist has gotten terribly thirsty, and is getting comfortable over by the kegerator.)
You demure.
You blush. You beg them off, saying you’re not really a bassist, more someone who likes to play the bass in their spare time and -

You are cut off. Eager hands propel you toward the waiting bass. Your cries and excuses fall on deaf ears. These people want music, dammit. They will not let you escape.

And so, there you are. Amongst the musicians. Bass in hands.
The singer, sporting a worn-looking acoustic, leans over and says “we’re gunna do a nice little country blues in G. I call it, I Think I’ll Just End It All Tonight.”

And then he counts it in.

THE PLAYALONG:

THE CHART + TIPS

You’re in a room with a bunch of other musicians.
This could have happened any number of ways.
They could be old friends of yours who love to play.
You might have responded to a Craig’s List posting looking for a bassist.
This might be your actual band that you’re in.
However it happened, here you are with a bass, amidst a band’s worth of other players.

And, as tends to happen in these scenarios… there’s a lull.
No one knows what to play next.
The guitarist is noodling. So is the other guitarist. The keyboard player is playing the impressive classical pieces that she knows. You’re tuning up. The drummer is on his phone.

Someone - maybe even you - says ‘what are we gunna play?’

Invariably, someone else says - how ‘bout a blues?

The drummer, who can’t play a shuffle beat to save his life, says “fine - but it has to be funky.”
The guitar players have visions of solos dancing in their heads, drool forming in the corners of their mouths. One of them gasps hungrily: “fine - funky blues. Key of E!”

And before you have a chance to object or escape, the drummer is counting it off:

THE PLAYALONG:

THE CHART + TIPS

33 Likes

I’m very stoked to share this with y’all today!

Let me know what you think of my real-life-bass-playing simulation attempt.
Was it helpful?
Is this the kind of thing you like?
Would you want more of this kind of thing?

Lemme know on the thread, and - most importantly - if you play some blues to these playalong tracks absolutely post those up.
I’d love to see some blues grooves up here.

11 Likes

This is really cool @Gio ! Thanks for putting it together for us, I’m excited to try it out later today (hopefully).

5 Likes

Great idea. Thanks a lot! @Gio

4 Likes

I like the concept Gio! Thanks for putting all this together, looks like a fun approach to delving into the blues some more. I will definitely be doing so when I have the time to do it. :slight_smile: The forever struggle, that!

5 Likes

Holy crap! This is awesome!

3 Likes

What a super cool exercise! Thank you!! @Gio

3 Likes

I had a little time to play the first one today. I played through on my own a few times and then read the chart then read the suggested tabs. It was a lot of fun! I want to get these patterns down and then try to find some rock songs to play along with too. Thanks again, this is awesome!

4 Likes

YES!

So you’re saying my wild experiment has potential?!
Glad to hear it, and thanks for digging in.

Thanks heaps to all ye commenters.

Application is such a huge thing for us bassists, as we’re not solo instruments - we thrive in bands and groups!!
This is my first brainstorm in finding ways to create some of that real-world-band spark to the online community.

Holler back with what works and what doesn’t, and hope it’s massive bluesy times for all y’all.

6 Likes

Man @Gio this is awesome, thanks so much for putting it together! I’ve only done the first one… I kinda want to savor them!

I figured I wouldn’t be able to do the hardcore mode if I started anywhere else but there, so that’s what I did. Didn’t exactly nail it, but glad I tried it that way. Then I worked my way back doing Standard and then Beginner. It was interesting to see how the provided bass line differed from what I was trying to play.

Good stuff!!!

5 Likes

Yes!
Big high fives, and big respect for going Hardcore :skull: :crossed_swords:

3 Likes

This is awesome, Thank you so much.

1 Like

@Gio, this is great! I love the fact that you can take it slow, or dive right into it and see if you crash & burn. And if you do mess it up, the info is right there to see how you could have done it better. Hope you do more of these. :+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

yessss!
Great to hear, thanks for the feedback, and enjoy!

2 Likes

Killer!
So glad the format works.
Hardcore mode always takes me back to my Diablo 2 days, so, you know - respect for crashing and burning!

2 Likes

This is gold @Gio, definitely going to try these. I just play solo at home and would probably play more with stuff like this. I can improvise to some extent on guitar, but still pretty new to improvising on bass.

Eventually I’m hoping to put together some solo jams of my own.

2 Likes

Cool! Will be giving this a try tomorrow!

2 Likes

Ideal!
Lemme know how this works for you.
Fo’ Realz - trying to find a meaningful way for folks who are playing solo at home to get a taste of ensemble playing and - hopefully - encourage folks towards playing out - is my mission!

If you have ideas, feedback or anything that could be better aimed at your experience, give a holler!

2 Likes

Yes!
Enjoy, and lemme know how it goes for you.
This is a beta version, and needs to be play tested by folks!

1 Like