The diplomatic way to explain that you are Playing Bass!

For those of you who share your home with either your family or friends.
How did you go about politely, diplomatically and gently explaining that for the next 20,30,45 minutes you are only available in the events of fire ,alien invasion or the amazon fella delivering the new strings?

Don’t get me wrong I adore my little clan here,but today while trying to get through one uninterrupted play- through of “bombtrack” I had to:

• find plain A4 paper
    -find lined A4 paper
  • diffuse a sock related conflict
  • change a nuclear level 5 nappy
    -offer opinion on 3 different news stories
  • take the headphones off 3 other times while noticing someone mouthing something to me

My fellow bass aficionados, how did you explain to your household that you in fact aren’t in the house while practicing?

(Qualifuer: of course when I’m not playing I am the maintenance guy, taxi driver, lift- that -heavy- thing man and the guy to chat to about anything)

Post script: if you are reading this darling ,none of the above relates to you in any shape ,way or form.

17 Likes

Headphones :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Ha! They get through with that taptaptapTAPTAPTAPITTYTAP on the shoulder instead! I was thinking a moat. filled with sharks. On fire! :grin:

12 Likes

Oh oh oh… @Stando… I feel your pain deeply and acutely.

I regularly have my kids interrupt Zoom lessons I’m giving, recording sessions I’m trying to do remotely from home… or, even better, I’ll have a good take, and then there’s a complete brawl/scream/holler on the track because the dolls weren’t shared…

Depending on the day / amount of sleep / amount of caffeine, I handle the interruptions differently. Sometimes its great, and we can have papa-daughter music time. Sometimes they listen. Sometimes I rage. It all depends.

Since school has moved to 100% at home, the ability to do anything focused at home has been real real tricky.

Do your best. Try not to yell.
Post all successful suggestions here, and we’ll collect our wisdom and - maybe, somehow, someday - play and practice bass in our homes uninterrupted.

12 Likes

I guess I’m fortunate that all my kids are grown and out of the house, and my spouse is deaf; therefore pretty much leaves me alone when I’m practicing or playing. The only interrupter is my 10 lb. bichon, who barks every time a leaf dare make a sound in the backyard.

However, I have been in your shoes in the past, and do feel your pain.

14 Likes

I had to laugh when you mentioned the doll sharing,that’s exactly what it is here!
I even do the rounds,before I pick the bass up,to check that everybody is fed,watered ,the internet is working correctly( very important step) and that all is calm on the western front…just to find out four notes in that defcon level 5 has been reached in all theaters at once.

My “practice room” is also the gym,since all the gyms have been shut, the race track, the great hall as well as sitting room, dance hall and wrestling arena…sedatives…anyone know a doctor? :wink::joy:

12 Likes

If it is any consolation - this gets much worse when you start trying to record vocals :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Those pesky garden leaves have to be investigated at all cost! :grin:

6 Likes

I have been forbidden to sing by the teenage faction of the house…they have reputations to guard!

8 Likes

I have four kids at home with us. I play about an hour or so a day. My bass and recording set up is in my bedroom, which is conveniently my wife’s domain for crafting and other things as well. So many nights while the kids are doing what typical kids do my wife, is crafting I am playing bass. My wife has been with me for 24 years she has been there for my band rehearsals etc growing up together so she is totally okay with it all. If I am recording I kindly lock the door lol

9 Likes

There are also times where one of the kids will need you for something that seems minuscule to you but everything is a life crisis to a teenager so just stop for a minute handle the situation and get back to playing

9 Likes

Sounds like you have it sorted beautifully! I also have 4 in the house and I vaguely still remember being utterly perplexed when my folks didn’t understand the gravity of my existential crises ,that at one point must have come daily, so I try to be present in everything they do…buuuuut…I don’t have that door lock you mention for when I want to play! :grinning:

6 Likes

@Stando In that case just talk with them and let them know that I am about to practice for a bit if you could behave for a while that would be great lol. Seriously though I know your dilemma we just have it figured out pretty good right now.

6 Likes

I’m sure we will get there too. I didn’t start the course yet ,but that’s mainly because I have a brand new bass and amp and I’m just overly excited whenever I fire it up to focus on anything other than being a pretend rock star!

5 Likes

I understand just have fun playing and the rest will come in time. Sometimes what we call a distraction becomes opportunity. For instance sometimes I am playing and just struggling with a part and my little “interruptions” will come in the room and I will stop for a while but when I return I find I hit that part I was working on. So stepping away for a while can really help us clear our heads and get back at it.

6 Likes

Wise words indeed! I’m hoping that one of the kids will pick up the B2B course after I finish

4 Likes

My son ended up playing guitar another plays drums, my little girl plays guitar and now my other girl plays piano. They grab it naturally over time

6 Likes

I pretty much wait until everyone goes to bed. I’m a night-owl anyway, but it’s tougher now that the kids are mid-teens - they don’t go to bed much earlier than I do. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

download

12 Likes

recording

5 Likes