The diplomatic way to explain that you are Playing Bass!

That’s awesome about you kids picking the instruments up. My second daughter finished two years of violin,but it didn’t grab her attention as much I I would have hoped. But she has a phenomenal natural ear and picks out any song that she likes on her electronic keyboard. The boy would love drums…but somehow i don’t see that happening just yet :grinning:

I know what you mean @skydvr . My energy runs out way before theirs too!

@gcancella " if the door’s is a-socking,don’t come a-knocking ,the bass is a- rocking!" ( don’t worry I’ll get my coat) :grin:

6 Likes

I never forced my kids to play they just picked the interest up on their own. As for drums I waited a long time to finally get a kit for him. I mean when he was 5 he ruined a hardwired Orange amp i had by jumping up and down on the speaker cab. lol However I found Alesis makes a pretty decent electronic kit to get one started on drums and it is volume controlled lol

6 Likes

Oh yes an electronic kit is exactly what I’m thinking,he is just using the sticks on everything. I convinced him that even Dave Grohl learned on pillows.
We have music making equipment all over the house and it was always one of the first type of " toys" I got them. Whatever they choose, I’ll be right behind them. Music or anything else

5 Likes

@Stando

Haha, yeah sometimes I get the tap- or the dreaded overhead light flashing on and off. :rofl:

6 Likes

Level one: volume knob
Level two: volume knob, distortion pedal
Level three: volume knob, distortion, singing at top of lungs
Level four: there is no level four :+1:

8 Likes

Oh wait you said “diplomatic” :grin:

7 Likes

@Stando In my experience, with kids that young, this is not a fight you can win. :rofl:

My mom likes to use this phrase…
“I’m going to tear your arms off and beat you with them.”

You can try that. I’m not saying you should. But you can try that.

5 Likes

I see that just like with any level of diplomacy there are only a few solutions:

• reason, usually works great with rational actors. Is favoured by the long term strategist. Attempts to find compromises. Is virtuous
    -violence( or the threat of), usually works great( :grin: ) with the rational and irrational alike. Is often frowned upon. Works short term. Lands you on various naughty lists.

One often misunderstood diplomatic option that attempts to use reason and avoid violence is…Bribery! Let em eat cake,they’ll let you play bass! Thanks for the great suggestions everyone! :grin:

4 Likes

As I do not have kids on my own I can only tell you what worked for my mother when I still was a kid.

There was a time in the evening that was reserved for my mother.
She made sure to let us know that we are not allowed to disturb.
If it was not of utter importance we were send away.
I don’t even remember how she got us to “know” it but we knew that this is the time we are not allowed to disturb except if the kitchen is on fire or something like that.

I think the trick is clear communication and pulling through, i.e. not getting soft. Demanding your reserved time and sending people away except if the kitchen is literally on fire.

I know it’s easier to say than to do but as said - it worked for my mother on my brother and me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hard diplomacy with clearly defined boundaries, I like it!

A slight modification with the same intent could be…cages,sturdy metal cages with a little water reservoir and a piece of bread,for we are a civilised bunch!:grin:

5 Likes

Ah the joy of no kids at home, a man cave and headphones

3 Likes

Theres always the old, “Screaming like a madman and firing your .45 handgun in the air shouting, ‘Gettttttouuuut!’” trick.

…Hey it worked for my dad. :slight_smile:

Nah…just kidding.

…It was a .357 Magnum. :smiley:

5 Likes

I’m finally at the point in life that all the kids are grown up and moved away.
That has made it a bit easier. Let me share my technique for making practice time easier with kids.
We have 2 sons and 3 daughters. Ages currently 18, 19, 22, 22, 25. So, there was plenty of distraction and chaos. Bass is not my first instrument, it’s my 4th. Our technique was this…

1. Let each child pick an instrument or art form they wish to learn.
  2. Each day have a routine as follows.
    A. Kids get home from school
    B. Kids do homework
    C. Kids do chores
    D. Kids practice their art form
  3. While kids are busy doing their thing, I practice.
  4. When I’m done practicing (1 hour), go and help them with any questions.

We were strict parents, so this was easy for me.
It worked beautifully.
Now, we have adult children that have hard earned skills they can pass on.

Daughter-25 is a dancer and vocalist
Daughter-22 is a vocalist, actor and plays guitar
Son-22 plays guitar and bass
Daughter-19 plays guitar and banjo
Son-19 plays guitar, ukulele and is a vocalist
Me-49 plays Guitar, mandolin, mountain dulcimer and bass

So, now music, dance, acting and art fill 6 homes.
What a blessing.

10 Likes

You win ! That’s how I aspire to do it, the routine is nearly there slight tweaks still necessary.
This community absolutely rocks btw!

5 Likes

Well in my case I only started playing a little over 6 months ago & I’m 60 so my kids are 19 & 23 with only one living with us still & my wife.
The wife knows that when I go to my little studio downstairs it’s to practice & nobody bothers me & my daughter actually will listen to my playing when she’s there. But in my case I often lose track of time and will practice sometimes for 2 hrs straight. Usually my fingers & hands are fatigued by then & that tells me to take a break.

3 Likes

That sounds lovely! Everytime your fingers hurt when you are doing something unrelated to bass know that you are a badass!

1 Like

I don’t have any issue with interruptions during practice. My fiancé and I live alone, so no issues there. For the most part, I’m alone practicing, but sometimes she’ll work on a painting or digital art at the same time.

My issue is finding time for her, work, school, practicing, etc. during the limited time we have each day.

4 Likes

Never skip on the time you have for her,I know this is a bass forum, but people come first. Now go give her a hug! :wink:

2 Likes

I always say I love you, but if you bother me while I m playing, the next time you bring your buddies over I m going into ur room in your moms nitie.

4 Likes

Now that’s asserting dominance the right way! :joy:

1 Like