The diplomatic way to explain that you are Playing Bass!

As it seems, the question touches a sensible point but it hides another - and more essential - one: when should we practice? It is one of the key issues most of us are struggling with. The conclusions I could come to correspond mainly to what @mmrunyan1, @juli0r and @LesterH have written in their posts.
As for myself, I prefer to practice when I am alone at home or, at least, when I am the only one to be active: the night-owl and the early-bird scenarios. I often set an alarm in such a way that I can practice an hour before anyone else is awake. Putting practice before any other activity has also the advantage of securing some practice time in any case. Afternoon or evening practice sessions are much more easily perturbed or even cancelled. However, getting up earlier and having a good practice time may not always be possible. Another part of the problem is the (im)possibility of playing amped.
Finally, let me recommend two extremely insightful articles on practicing and time management by excellent bassist and educator Damian Erskine: How To Structure Limited Practice Time and Preparing for Multiple Gigs (donā€™t let you mislead by the title, Damianā€™s advices may be very helpful even if you donā€™t prepare for any gig).

7 Likes

Those are very useful links!
The issue of finding time for practice is indeed a pressing one. Thereā€™s productive practice,that can be as little as 10 minutes and then ā€œpracticeā€ where you manage little more than being a different place for your bass to hang- as you tend to the needs of everyone around you,who inadvertently react to the bass frequency as one does to cranial stimulation and remember that they need your hand,advice or opinion in just that very moment!

Waking up early is probably the best habit,along with making sure you get enough sleep, in setting yourself up on the right path to achieve your goals,be it bass,exercise or anything else!

In my case ,as I already get up at 04:40, early practice is out of question and the afternoon is filled with the demands of a baby and 3 other variously young kids, theblady of my heart and household chores.

So do I just give up in nihilistic despair? Nah! I just hang the green hornet around my neck while chatting to the kids while busting out a scale 15 times in a row, treat the baby to the soothing rhythm of "bombtrack " by rage against the machine and do as many repetitions of the next groove Iā€™m trying to learn while the bread is in the toaster and the kettle is coming up to boil.
The theory is tackled while chilled next to the lovely one in the evening.
Is it ideal? Nooo, I want a man-bunker with all my toys and fingerprint lock on the door,but as much as Iā€™m trying to form a habit of playing in myself , Iā€™m also showing the fam that this is important to me and not just another one of my crazy ,short lived ideas (ā€¦there has been many)

Find whatever time you have,play the tunes you love and as much as possible involve your clan by maybe learning the groove to a song they love! And donā€™t forget to share good ideas for practice,gear or anything else with the rest of usšŸ˜ thank you very much for your input and great links!

4 Likes

@Chevee and @Stando another method of organizing your practice time is by using a practice journal. I kept one faithfully when studying jazz and classical on guitar. I am about to start another because I am doing some in depth studies of arpeggios and scales and modes

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a great suggestion! There is just something about taking notes that forces the brain to solidify the study material. Using your own words,syntax and grammar is a great way to get over hurdles in understanding of anything that is written or spoken. And writing down your ā€œnumbersā€ ,like in weightlifting or times when running, helps to not only keep track but to motivate.

I saw a post from @PamPurrs on another topic where she had a list of tracks she was working on. I found that very useful too- set yourself a goal of 10 tracks you like and write it down. It keeps you honest and crossing them off is a great satisfaction

3 Likes

@Stando, my admiration is yours! :slight_smile:
@LesterH: I think it is an indispensable tool, especially if it can deliver a maximum of efficiency while requiring a minimum of time investment. I tried several apps so far. My practice app by now is Gary Milliganā€™s Music Practice Log - Tracker.

3 Likes

@Stando any luck securing your practice time? I had a couple ideas, if youā€™re still looking for suggestions.

1 Like

Havenā€™t seen that post but itā€™s a great idea. Iā€™ve got a 3 part list. Some songs from B2B, others I love to and can realistically achieve and then a couple I would ultimately love to be able to play, in particular The Jam, Down in the Tube Station at Midnight.

1 Like

Iā€™m all up for suggestions!
I havenā€™t really had more success, but I try to have a quick play at least for a few minutes every day during the week and I do get a solid hour-ish on bothe days of the weekend.

I still havenā€™t started the B2B course, because when I do I want to have a solid routine on one hand and Iā€™m getting seriously distracted by :

• the five way switch on my bass.
    I find a ā€œnewā€ tone setting and just goof off on it ,then click-clack oh now I slap and so on

• the zoom b1/4 jeeez-louisee I must have lost three evening just having an absolute blast with all the effects and especially the looper and drum machine.

So Iā€™m playing ,but not in a particular path. Iā€™m jumping from song to song without learning one properly yet!

Oh and the single biggest distraction is my current obsession with getting a different preamp for my bass and maybe pickups too.
The treble knob seems to be adding too much ,hmm, somethingā€¦donā€™t have the vocabulary to describe itā€¦there is a lot of synthy vibe coming through and I think itā€™s the preamp being a weak link in an otherwise great feeling bass,for the price.

So Iā€™m my own worst enemy atm!
Fire away with some pointers! :grin:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s is definitely the way ,with having three ā€œdifficulty settingsā€ running concurrently.

Great choices by the way and Iā€™m sort of in the same boat. I have "wake up " by rage against the machine, longview by green day from the course extras(although I didnā€™t start the course yet) alongside Billy Jean- because of the infamy of it on here and a few more by Tool and the Chilli peppers.
The last two are in embryonic stages.

And then I chastise myself for not doing the coursework and for still not remembering ā€œthe beastā€ excersice from joshā€™s book and not learning more scales and modes!

Seriously need to be furloughed for at least a monthā€¦while the schools could open so the house isnā€™t always full! :grin:

2 Likes

The first idea I had is admittedly theoretical since I havenā€™t had to deal with an array of distractors, just one. I was thinking it might be helpful to ā€œdeputizeā€ someone else in the house who is supportive of your practice and has influence or authority over the other offenders. Iā€™m imagining a scenario where this Deputy is running interference and solving problems for you during your practice time, only escalating to interrupt you when necessary. Did I just describe utopia?

Second, Iā€™ve found it helps to simply give the distractors a specific time frame. For example ā€œIā€™m going to be practicing bass for the next 45 minutesā€. If they know youā€™ll be done practicing at a certain time they may be less likely to interrupt during that time. Your mileage may vary, but that works very well for me.

Iā€™m also showing the fam that this is important to me and not just another one of my crazy ,short lived ideas

Something else that just occurred to me, starting the B2B course might help in showing the family how serious you are about this particular endeavour.

3 Likes

@Stando the best course you can ever take is the one you start. Just start it and things will come together

3 Likes

You have indeed described utopia! But I like your suggestion and it works both ways.
For all of us that share our daily hours with others, give your time to their interests also and then,hopefully, your clan will be interested in what you do too.

Unleeeees your kids think that whatever you do is,and I quote:" cringe, dad" :grin:

I jest though , you are absolutely right - involving everyone and having a deputy ( I call it mumforcer) works wonders too! And bribes :wink:

1 Like

Spot on.

Journey of a million miles and all that. Once I get rolling Iā€™ll, fingers crossed, become a bass avalanche. Bassalanche?

2 Likes

I always think itā€™s funny when they donā€™t realize how incredibly cool I am. :sunglasses:

So, how is the fight between life and bass going?

1 Like

I think the problems you describe are the reasons why so many (me included) take ā€˜a breakā€™ from playing for about 30 years. Kudos to you for struggling through it :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Still a bit tricky to be honest . Itā€™s one week on,one week off pretty much. As soon as I donā€™t have to work anymore ( 124 years by my estimate) Iā€™ll be playing every day! :grin:

1 Like