The Matrix Resurrection

With Star Wars, I have seen something kinda weird, but also very obvious:
I like the original trilogy the best, born in 77. So I was something like 7 when I saw them all, when the third one was released.

I know people that are much younger than me, who were around 10-12 when the next trilogy hit the cinemas. Guess which trilogy they like the best? The one that hit the cinemas when they were in that age.

So it is kinda like: You like the Star Wars you grew up with the most.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve heard a similar theory about Saturday Night Liveā€¦ :rofl: But, I donā€™t disagree.

Hope youā€™ve been watching the Mandalorian and the Book of Boba Fett though, itā€™s the best Star Wars since the OT in my opinion. Filoni and Favreau have saved Star Wars, and I am actually optimistic about its future now.

Not yetā€¦but looking forward to watching them. And I will watch the Matrix as well!!!

Agree about those two. The best Star Wars ever made, unless you count the Old Republic games, was Clone Wars and Rebels, IMO :slight_smile:

I am reading ā€œGuitar Zeroā€ by Gary Marcus right now, and in it he mentions that people predominantly like the music they heard when they are teenagers the most, which is probably why, even though I have a pretty eclectic range of musical tastes, still gravitate to the tunes I was listening to drinking beer next to the Hudson River in Newburgh as a teen. I am sure the same applies to movies, food, you name it. My kids canā€™t watch movies we grew up with that are classics (ET, Goonies, etc) because they are, in their words ā€œall fuzzyā€ and from ā€œthe revolutionary timesā€.

2 Likes

An interesting part of older movies I find is pacing. I recently re watched The Blues Brothers. Fun to watch all these musicians whom I now recognise. But the pacing was sloooooooow.
Over the holidays I watched The Bourne Supremacy followed by an old Bond movie with Ssssssssean Connery. I was laughing pretty hard at the fighting in Bond after Bourne.

1 Like

When i was a teenager in the 80s i listened to a lot of 40s-50s music, esp swing and i listened to some heavy metal, hard rock and lots of rap/hiphop after that. In the 90s-00s i listened to grunge and hiphop, then mostly country and for the last 10 or so years i listen to mostly hiphop and pop remixesā€¦ When i play guitar, i mostly like to play 70-80s rock, a lot of songs that i never even listened to much. For bass i like to play jazz and a lot of 60-70s rock, also a lot of stuff i really never listened to much. I also like a lot of the bass lines from more recent pop artists like bruno mars and dua lipa. So the music i listen to most, what i play on guitar and what i play on bass isnā€™t even the same stuff :slight_smile:

I think the late 70s and early 80s of snl were the best years and i didnt start watching it until around 1990 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

My daughter is 17 and she thinks the original SW trilogy was the best. Liking something has nothing to do with how ā€œgoodā€ it is. The most recent trilogy is horrible for characters and story but it has very good visual impact; itā€™s the movie equivalent of pop music.

Most kids like a mcdonalds burger way more than an expensive steak but that doesnā€™t make mcdonalds better :smiley:

1 Like

Yes because youā€™ve gotten used to the ridiculous pacing of more ā€œmodernā€ films where they think they canā€™t go more than 2 minutes without some crazy action and thereā€™s not time to develop a good story and characters.

Why do people still love the original star trek series? The characters, and at least half of the stories :sweat_smile: The original ST episode most often regarded as the best is The City on the Edge of Forever and it has very little action in it. All the recent JJ trek movies are full of action and pretty much crap (unless you think playing Sabotage makes a movie good), Discovery is a huge dumpster fire.

1 Like

Is it for the set / props that were light years ahead of their time?

1 Like

I just rewatched the entire series this year (or was it last?, hard to tell).
What I found was the storys (maybe not the dialog) were fantastic.
But more importantly, the actors made the characters the shining stars.
Kirk, McCoy, Spock played by their original actors are insanely good.
If you overlay the times these were made in when watching them, its pretty darn amazing the stories and characters they created (props, not so much).

1 Like

I started watching the original because I watched behind the scenes somewhere that said Captain Kirk started stealing lines and/or inserted himself I thought it was funny and trying to catch those moments. Heā€™s such a d!ck, lol.

1 Like

That movie was a proper mindfuck haha. I had the pleasure to work for film festivals and I personally feel that arthouse movies leave a bigger impact than most Hollywood films. That said I do like Tarantinoā€™s early work very much. Same goes for Verhoeven and a few other directors that arenā€™t ā€œmainstreamā€.

1 Like

Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.

I was starting to think I was the only one on the planet who felt that way. :slight_smile:

If a movie or a television series doesnā€™t have a solid cast, with repeatable and predictable behavior, you canā€™t follow any character development. If you donā€™t have character development, you canā€™t ā€œlikeā€ or ā€œdislikeā€ any of the cast.

If you canā€™t have that, then whatā€™s the use of watching? :thinking:

You are right, too much attention is paid to the ā€œactionā€ scenes in modern films with little or no regard for the plot . . . I canā€™t begin to tell you how many movies Iā€™ve turned off halfway through because I canā€™t follow who is who . . . or why who is doing what! :roll_eyes:

Color me old fashioned I guess.

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Well, to be fair: old fashioned television series donā€™t have any character development, at all.
That is because they were designed so that if you miss an episode, it doesnā€™t matter.

Look at the original Star Trek series. No character development, they stay the same throughout the series. That is even true for Next Generation. It is only later that TV series adopted a progression and character development.