The Official BassBuzz Food Thread

I think every big city has a form over function sushi place (although yours looks delicious). In chicago one of my places is yuzu sushi:

fb-img-1580583512347

Beautiful and tastes good, but cut into pieces so large you almost choke on them :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Wow. And yes, same as this place. Giant pieces!

1 Like

Wow!

You don’t see that as much here, though there is one chain famous for their “overflowing” nigiri.

2 Likes

Forgot to mention, we went to a Polski fest in Tokyo yesterday with a Polish coworker. Really, really excellent kielbasa. Also had some of that pizza-like baguette thing, forget the name. So good.

4 Likes

Zapiekanka. I’m not a fan, though the ones with cheese and mushrooms are edible. In a similar vein, in the Warsaw old town there’s a place on the street leading out to the barbicane that serves these fresh mini-sub buns that they impale on heated spikes to hollow them out and toast them. Then they stuff the cavity with a mushroom and fried onion stew/sauce. OMG those are good. If there’s one thing I miss from my time in Poland, it’s that.

3 Likes

In a different tradition entirely:

This is something I acquired a taste for in Tunisia. Its the first big market one I found that tastes like the real thing. The thing is most places sell “harissa” that’s nothing more than a hot pepper chutney. For the real thing, you need Tunisian five spice (qalat dagga - roasted cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, peppercorns, and grains of paradise (can sub kardamom for the latter).

Cool memory I have from there is that in Tunisia I stayed in Monastir. This is the city where they filmed Life of Brian. I ate lunch a few times in the crew’s favorite restaurant - there’s this cool little commemorative plaque by the door.

6 Likes

Yeah these were the cheese and mushroom ones. I was down with everything except the ketchup-like sauce

2 Likes

I live on the Florida Gulf Coast but have a client in Chicago whose office was on Ogden Avenue. On one of my trips up to see them, they took me to Yuzu, and it was great from what I remember. Half the cost of what we would pay for something comparable in Florida. Small world.

3 Likes

Daily dose of grease (I largely eat keto).

4 Likes

The wife got some pineapples from one of her farmer friends. We kept a few and gave most of them away to neighbors and friends. One of my friends gave us some mangos in return. All in all a good day for everyone!

6 Likes

I foresee a massive smoothie in your nearest future

1 Like

I was starting to get worried that your wife stopped feeding you @RuknRole, I am pleased to hear that is not the case :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

That could be interpreted in sooooooo many ways!

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl:

Paid a visit to the local Japanese buffet today. Nothing to write home about, but it takes care of the Sushi and Hibachi urge.

2 Likes

Before and after

One minute 30 seconds on a side on a cast iron griddle on the barbie heated to within 3 degrees of the melting temperature of tungsten :metal:

9 Likes

My daughter and I are slogging our way through summer colds, and today Tom Kha with mushrooms and tofu along with Papaya Jae fits the bill. It may not look exciting, but oh man it is exactly what I needed.

5 Likes

Love that. We actually do similar with Tom Yum. We use it in a lot of stuff we make.

Hope you feel better!

3 Likes

Thank you @howard ! I’m just going to eat this until I do.
:bowl_with_spoon: :yum: :crazy_face: :grin:

3 Likes

our kid just moved back to chicago from california, so we wanted to take her out for a celebration. way before covid, i wanted to go to chicago’s pretty famous sun-wah. they have won a james beard award, and are known for two things: their pork and the whole peking duck dinner. the duck comes with bao buns, pickled radish and veggie garnishes. they carve it tableside, then make the carcass into duck soup and duck fried rice for you. all for around $50, crazy. sooo amazingly good :yum: :yum: :yum:

duck

5 Likes