The original songs and compositions Laboratory

Skip through that marketing bs… there are even more handles for it. The best ones: his structure, your own ears and around that 300 tips

1 Like

Yeah guys like this also make a living doing it, so there is marketing stuff attached. But his advice is solid. I’m only a few chapters in and already see how I would have used it to improve existing songs I’ve already released! Another guy who is good is Rick Beatto.

3 Likes

It is indeed solid, rocking solid👍 Have had good results improving my writing. For lyrics as well as melody.

2 Likes

Here is another very bass driven song. Cool gritty tone.

1 Like

Not to be a stickler, @kerushlow, but finished original songs should go here:

While this thread here is more for sketches and fragments people are working on and would like to get input on etc. :smile:

(I know, it is a bit confusing… and, of course, no big deal at all!!)

2 Likes

No problem, was a bit confused.

3 Likes

Here’s something I’ve been working in the past 2 days. The main riff started as a hum and I had to play it to get it off my head. The ending is a bit meh, but I wanted to share it with you to know what you think of it

The drum track is from Beatbuddy, just straight looping.

6 Likes

Very surf, I like it!

2 Likes

Yeah, pretty much like @howard said - very surf-y :grin:

You might want to add that double hit on the 2 for the snare drum if possible, which is also very common in surf - check this out (my little brother on bass):

5 Likes

Sounds good to me, @gcancella . . . :+1:

Cheers
Joe

1 Like

Hi guys, thank you for your comments @howard, @joergkutter and @Jazzbass19!

@joergkutter I did just that! It’s my first “real” experience with midi drums, or drums for that matter. It’s just not my beach (pun intended and also an introduction to another portuguese saying, I hope it translates well) it might sound a bit raw but here it goes:

4 Likes

Something I have been working on… at this stage, a number of ideas that could work together… all played on a bass (apart from the drums, of course).

The lead is still very “ad hoc” and those tracks need to be re-recorded for sure, once I get a better idea about the main melody and its variations. Also, the end is pretty cheesy so far… Oh, yeah, and no proper mixing yet, obviously :grin:

Anyway, that is why it is still in the lab - criticism/suggestions welcome!

10 Likes

Very mellow @joergkutter,
I kinda like the subtlety of the whole piece😎
It all fits together very well, the mix IMO is very good.
Remember we are always more critical of ourselves, I think you have executed this very nicely :+1:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Very nice @gcancella,
Racey piece, I agree with the surf type description :+1:
Great tone and the transitions were really nice😎
Cheers Brian

1 Like

Very nice @gcancella, is it the same as 1.3 with more cymbals added in the mix🤔
Still sounded really cool :sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

1 Like

Much obliged, Brian!

True, but it does need a bit more work :grin:

2 Likes

@joergkutter I like the track and I would actually listen to it the way it is for sure

3 Likes

It does sound good, @joergkutter . . . very mellow as Brian @TNKA36 said above :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Careful with that rabbit hole :slight_smile:

Things always need more work. Deciding when they are done is hard. I am bad at it.

I think your song is sounding great so far.

5 Likes

I love it! Very easy-going.

Noticed a few notes a tad too short (unless it was intended).

I agree with you about the ending. Not that it’s cheesy, but I think it’s lacking. Have you tried ending it with the main riff or something along the lines of 1:36-1:40?

Maybe the one thing I would improve would be to “give more body” to the bass. Alas, I think that would be more to do with mastering than the playing itself.

That resonates so much with me. That rabbit hole is what makes me overwork something until one day I lose all interest in it and it remains unfinished.

5 Likes