The original songs and compositions Laboratory

Thank you Brian @TNKA36!

Yep. It’s basically the same with a different drum track.

I’m now working on a higher register bass line (with my other bass which is a bit more trebly), which is basically pretending to be a guitar without really being a guitar. It’s a bass with an identity crisis.

Hopefully I can share it with you guys in a few days. I’m really liking the result and the recording experience overall.

2 Likes

Take Hell must be a beautiful place. It looks so colorful!

4 Likes

I got tired of managing that so I now just do completely separate tracks for punchins :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That was exactly the reason why I now have 3 different “Bass High” tracks. But I got carried away…

By the way, I found the perfect use for my bluetooth page turner pedal!

I talked about it in some other thread. It’s mainly to control tab scroll and such. And now… left foot hits “play” and right foot hits “record” on Reaper. All without letting go off the bass. It’s been so useful!

Those precious seconds between getting my hand off my bass, stop recording, record again, sometimes are enough to reset my memory of some cool riff I was playing. This way I reduced that risk and also streamlined the recording operation.

It also enables you to play along with the track, without recording, and then tap record at the right moment while keeping all other variables the same (tempo, note volume, string pressure, etc). I can’t recommend it enough

3 Likes

oh thats a good idea, I hate those few moments between ctrl-R and picking up the pick :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Yep, I choked a bit here and there :slight_smile: I needed to get some ideas down and recorded (lest I forget them) and so there are mistakes and flaws aplenty…

True! But the idea with the “lab” here was to allow people to post not-quite-finished drafts to get some feedback before it is all done and polished :grin: But, yeah, it can be tough to find the right moment to let it go for good. I will probably let this one rest for a week or so and then look at it again… Still, there is this risk here indeed:

Also:

I usually cull my takes at some point because otherwise I am prone to lose any overview I think I might have - especially here where everything is recorded on a bass :wink:

2 Likes

That’s cool! Before reading the other comments I also had the surf vibe come to mind. I also saw it as underscoring during a spy/crime/suspense movie when they are up to something.

2 Likes

I love it! This puts me in the same mood I’m in when I listen to Shadowfax. I could imagine this for a piece in a movie like Lost In Translation. I think it fits to tenderly nostalgic retrospective of moments together.

4 Likes

Wow, thanks, @DaveT - this might be one of the nicest things anyone has said about my music!

Also, now I have to check out more Shadowfax :grin:

4 Likes

Lost in Translation has an amazing soundtrack - largely Kevin Shields from My Bloody Valentine, more or less the godfather of shoegaze. Coppola has a good ear for soundtrack music - Marie Antoinnette has an amazing soundtrack too, mostly post-punk and electronica.

5 Likes

Ok, so this is the new version with 2 basses. One of them with an identity crisis. Let me know what you think. I had a blast doing it

3 Likes

Ahh yeah that second snare hit makes it totally surf :slight_smile:

I love this. Keep going!

1 Like

Yes, totally surf now, also with that nice reverb on the guitars… Fun romp indeed!

Now, either the tuning of the two basses is slightly off, or - maybe more likely - you have a bit of an intonation issue that high up the neck!?! However, if anything, that sort of works in favor of the overall vibe of the song here :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

You have a good ear! I suspect intonation also.

The old excuse, it’s not a bug it’s a feature :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I did some edits. It’s the same link. Added some drum breaks, added an octave harmonizer to some parts (0:24, 1:00, 1:27) and prolonged the track a bit by repeating an initial section.

I really can see myself watching some Tarantino movie listening to this track. (A guy can dream)

4 Likes

Sounds very nice, @gcancella . . . :slight_smile:

Great bassline!

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes

Thank you @Jazzbass19 :hugs:

2 Likes

Might have to shoot that movie yourself next, @gcancella :grin:

2 Likes

Indeed :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Another bassline!

This one is not for a solo project, so the bass has more of a supportive role. This is part of the EP I’m recording with some work colleagues as a fun project to share with our other colleagues. That EP was already mentioned on another thread where @russki98 gave a helping hand with another track.

I recorded this last night to pass along to the guitarists so they can use it as a recording guide (tempo people! keep it!), it’s not intended to be the final take on this.

The beginning (and the ending) are a bit repetitive, listen for a bit and then skip to 0:38 if you’re bored.

My pseudo-solo reminds me a bit of Joy Division (@howard), but probably it’s just wishful self-projection :sweat_smile:. It also sounds a lot better as a background to some guitar strumming.

5 Likes