The PICK thread

Welp… I couldn’t help myself, just ordered the 0.75, 1.25 and 2mm variants plus a couple of accessories.

I’ll let you know how it works for me

3 Likes

Good idea to try different sizes, @gcancella . . . :wink:

All best, Joe

3 Likes

Those look very interesting. Please let us know what you think.

2 Likes

I will! But it will be a bit biased, since I’m not a regular pick user, although I’m willing to be for certain types of sound. I need to stop mistreating my index nail

2 Likes

I only have been using a pick for my Beatles covers. When I’m playing with a pick, it moves around because my fingers start to sweat a bit. Looking at those picks, it seems I will get a better grip on it. Looking forward to your review.

2 Likes

I just ordered a few Ultex ranging from 0.88 to 1.14.

2 Likes

looking forward to your feeling and opinion @howard ! and @gcancella too even if I’m a bit doubtful about those fancy picks. I can be wrong hopefully :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I got myself this test package of these Rombo picks.

To get an idea where I am coming from: I started playing bass around last April, so still a beginner. Pick wise, I started with a .73 mm Tortex, but a month ago I reevaluated and now like the 1 mm or 1.14 mm Tortex more.

In their “Try out mix”, the Rombo classic with 0.45 mm thickness clearly won’t really work on bass. The 2 mm seems to be quite nice. Though I don’t think it is grippier than the Tortex picks.
But to me, with it’s rather pointy shape and sturdiness, it at least feels more “precise”. So if you like the thicker picks, it might be well worth a try. For how long they hold up, I can not comment on that yet, haven’t used them a lot.

Shipment of the picks was very fast, but then again, I only live like 50km from where they send them from :wink:

3 Likes

@terb so far I really like the Ultex, thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

2 Likes

not sure you will ever go back to Tortex now, @howard :grin:

2 Likes

Definitely a nice feel, denser, stronger. Nice attack with them.

3 Likes

Are you more inclined to use the 0.88 or 1.14? I might order some for testing

2 Likes

1.0 for me. 0.88 was good too but prefer 1.0. 1.14 probably fine, haven’t tried yet, but 1.0 is excellent.

3 Likes

You using the normal or sharp one?

2 Likes

Normal.

2 Likes

time to compare different thicknesses … I currently use the 1.14

4 Likes

This thread is evil and sacrilegious (I’m totally kidding!)

Just some friendly jabbing lol. For real though there is nothing wrong with using a pick. It gives a slightly different tone and enables people to play faster. For me jumping across strings and actions like that are harder with a pick than slapping or fingers, but I didn’t learn on a pick. It’s got its advantages and disadvantages, and one way isn’t better than another. If you get the bass to make a sound, it doesn’t matter HOW you got it to make the sound.

2 Likes

Still settling on 1.0 here as a favorite. I should give the 0.88 a try - these are definitely stronger than Tortex.

for now I prefer the 1.14 but I think that :

• the wear level is important : a new pick tends to “grip” the string a bit whereas an old polished pick is more slippery
  • the string gauge is important : with light strings (like the ones I have on Greenie) I really want a stiff pick, but with heavier strings I could prefer a bit lighter pick

I will keep alternating between the 3 picks I have right here on my desk (0.88 - 1.00 -1.14) at least for a few weeks. that’s what I did with the 1.14 and 1.40 at the time, when I decided that I prefer the 1.14

Despite all I said, the 0.88 is still very playeable, it doesn’t bring a feeling of being really soft.

5 Likes

dp

i totally want a dick pick.

13 Likes