Thinking about a Harley Benton 5 string Bass

Looking at getting one, my list of songs I want to learn that use a 5 string is getting longer. I am looking at the Harley Benton Marquess 5 with blue stain. There is a bundle package that comes with that Bass and a Thomann gig bag for $222. Is the Harley Benton a good choice for a first 5 string?

5 Likes

It looks good. It should work just fine.

3 Likes

I have the Harley Benton JJ-55OP and it’s a superfun bass. Quite amazing actually, considering the price tag!

5 Likes

I’m really loving my 5 string bass and looking for my second. Super useful tool and fun to play as well without being cumbersome like a 6 string.

3 Likes

So the quality and sound are good?

3 Likes

For the price, yes.

4 Likes

It should be. I always assume that lower priced items vary in quality but those have a good reputation. Assume a little bit of setup and put a better set of strings on it if it’s in the budget. And play the cr@p out of it!! It doesn’t matter how much it cost if you don’t play it.

4 Likes

Got mine from Thomann and it was set up quite well. But, yes, put a set of DR Pure Blues on it and it just sings :grin:

3 Likes

I got a HB p bass from Thoman, and the quality was poor. The bridge was horrible making it impossible to intonate or lower the string action. Needed to replace the bridge to do a setup.

Caveat Emptor

2 Likes

5 strings rule!

3 Likes

I have seen very few, if any, complaints about Harley Benton.
The one I had was great for the price too.

@joergkutter - dang yours looks very nice

3 Likes

“Heavy but an unbelievable bargain” seems to be the norm.

2 Likes

It’s a great bargain if you get free shipping the HB Stratocaster I ordered, I paid $60-70 shipping, took 3 months to arrive(back ordered) back in April 2020, it’s still wrapped in the box unopened, lol.

I tried their p bass and there’s some rattled on a couple of the frets. That’s definitely the big thing for beginners. Most can dress the frets, perform some setup, neck relieve but fret leveling usually requires some experience.

2 Likes

That was a stock pic; but here is mine where I removed the pickguard.

Someone on TB joked that I would never be able to screw it back on as the body was made of compressed sawdust :crazy_face:

The 6 string I used to own from H-B - yes, absolutely; had its own gravity field.

This 5-string - not really. I don’t have the weight at hand, but it feels not any heavier than most of my other basses; not heavier than the Yamaha for sure :wink:

6 Likes

I have 4 Harley Bentons, 2 of which are 5 strings, and I absolutely love them. To me, their quality is way above their price point. Now, I like their 4 strings better, but that’s just because I prefer 4 strings in general. But the JP-550P I have is fantastic. It looks amazing, sounds great, and was less than $200. It came tightly packaged, too. One of the tuners seems a little bit loose, but nothing to really complain about. Definitely recommend. :slightly_smiling_face::+1: (But yes, they’re on the heavy side.)

4 Likes

Everywhere I go Harley Benton instruments seem to be well-regarded. I don’t think it will do you wrong.

I think you will also appreciate the 35" scale on that low B0, too :slight_smile: (As a 5-string main player I definitely do…)

3 Likes

This was under the tree Christmas morning. Played around on it for about an hour total now, really like it but muscle memory from a 4 to 5 string might take me a minute or two to get comfortable. Hopefully when I go back to a four string the reacclimation will be quick and easy. Probably will need a setup, action seems kind of high, I lowered the bridge a tiny bit myself. I’ll see if that makes a difference. Hope everyone had a great holiday.

10 Likes

That’s really pretty!
Congrats.

5 isn’t that hard to get used to, spend some days on just it, redo some B2B lessons, will be fine.
The trick on a 5er is muting of the B string is all

1 Like

I’m guessing a Hipshot drop D tuner won’t work on this one.

1 Like

Five string question: is the low B string supposed to be floppy? The Bass is in tune but the B string just feels really loose. That normal for that fat a string tuned that low?

1 Like