Thomastik-Infeld

I have a set of TI jazz flats on my Jazz bass. Best flats I have played. Admittedly, I am a beginner and have only played Fender Flats, D’addario Chrome Flats, EB Cobalt Flats and the TI’s. None are bad but the TI’s are wonderful. They sound awesome and have mellowed into sonic nirvana. Notes are smooth, not spikey, and the tension is low. I love them on that bass. So, I bought some Jazz rounds for the Ray34. I thought flats were the bomb, but these Jazz Rounds are the absolute best string I have played on anything. Super low tension so I had to adjust the bass for them. But once I did that, they are simply perfect. Easy to play, barely any string noise and they sound sublime, almost orgasmic. My Ray with those strings is all I play now. I am thinking of getting those strings for my Ibby, to give it a chance and also on my LTD. They even sound okay for slap bass, even though I suck at it.

8 Likes

The TI flats were the first I tried and I love them to this day. I got them at a reduced price which was a bonus as they are pricey but I can say I will definitely buy another set of them

3 Likes

The flats will be on my Jazz bass as Long as I have it. However, the rounds blew me away. They sound so good and play so easily. I have the action really low and you could almost blow on the strings and they will fret a note. I am amazed by them every time I play the Ray34.

3 Likes

Good to know, about the TI Jazz Rounds, Eddie. I only play rounds. Gotta get me a set.

3 Likes

They are pricey, but good Lord do they sound and play awesomely. And they are supposed to last for years getting better over time.

3 Likes

Yep, they are proud of those puppies! At $75+, they better last a good, long time and bring me a beer on a regular basis. :rofl: :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

4 Likes

if they are anywhere near as overpriced as the flats i don’t see how many people could make them their usual roundwound.

1 Like

Ti flats are exactly what you pay for, premium flats with lots to like and very little to complain.

3 Likes

I am now regretting getting rid of these early on. Guess I have to nab a set again and see. @Al1885 - are these good for a P bass sound too, or more suited for J bass tone?

4 Likes

Yep, clearly my favorite strings also. I just put them on the new 5’er and the B string rocks as well.

One (tongue-in-cheek) warning: they say the TI rounds “ruin” your hands and fingers because whenever you try to play on different strings now, you will sound and feel clumsy and awkward :wink:

4 Likes

They are good for p bass as well. I have these on my PJ SB2. While I would not want to lose the brightness, I’d prefer a bit bigger gauge.

6 Likes

I know about the ruining of hands. Only having played with them for a month or so, my hands already get clumsy when I play my basses that do not have them. They are so easy to play it makes my other strings feel like bridge cables, including the TI flats on my jazz. Luckily, they are on my favorite bass, my Ray34. They ain’t going nowhere.

4 Likes

One thing that amazes me about the TI rounds is the lack of string noise when I play or do slides. Might be my technique has gotten better or they just don’t generate a lot of noise. Whatever it is, I like it.

3 Likes

this is my concern.

4 Likes

Good to know you recommend them, @joergkutter. I’m going to get a set for my Mayones. The Ernie Ball Slinkys that came on my bass were new at the time, but they are now dead after a ton of playing time. :headstone:

Plus, the EBs are “OK” (I have an extra, brand new set that came with the bass), but they are certainly not my favorite strings.

4 Likes

@joergkutter, which particular TI Jazz Rounds set do use?

4 Likes

I play the JR 344 on the 4-string (Mayones) and the JR 345 on the 5-string (Roks) :smile:

4 Likes

:+1: Order placed!

4 Likes

Just be prepared to do a setup, Mike, as these strings have very different tension than the Slinkys :smile:

3 Likes

No problem there. I’m ready. :nerd_face:

3 Likes