Thought I downgraded

For some reason, there has been a bass calling me. Its a Sterling StingRay 34HH in spalted maple. I had seen it at a local store for awhile. Made a decision to maybe make a trade for one of my Spectors that I just never use.
Went in and they offered me alot more than I expected and walked out with the Sterling and a Schecter Research C4 GT that really caught my eye. Wow, got home and just could not put that Schecter down. This thing just feels perfect in my hands. I normally play in 20 or 30 minute spats here and there, this bass kept me going almost 4 hrs, and I wanted to play longer but my fingers hurt.
So money wise, yes it was a down grade.
But is it really a downgrade when you may loose money value, but you end up with something that actually gets used and isnt just eye candy. And makes me want to play and learn, I dont know.
I look at it this way. I didnt start this journey to make money on bass guitars, I want to play them, so I think I did good, and may have to really look at a couple other eye candy bass guitars that I bought but just will probably never use.

12 Likes

Here are the Schecter and Sterling

18 Likes

17 Likes

Congrats, @Whylee. Cool basses.

4 Likes

Love my Schecter. That there is a beauty

5 Likes

That’s an unmitigated upgrade! :+1: If you’re not playing it what’s the point? Currently my most played bass is a beat up Squier VM P-Bass (with recently discovered upgraded pickups) I got for $100 on Craigslist . I use it, and like it, so much that I’m selling off some stuff that on paper is way better. (Of course I’m using the proceeds to try out some new stuff like the Sire U5 on it’s way to me right now). But ultimately the best upgrade you can make is into whatever makes you want to play more!

7 Likes

Schecter Squad rise up! I use a 5-string version of that GT for my band :smiley: (and I have a purple one… :eyes: I could sell it, but I’ll probably schlep the purple one to shows as a backup so I’ll have the same sound if something goes wrong with the red one)

4 Likes

Was only planning on the Sterling StingRay.
But right when I walked in I saw that Schecter hanging there and I knew there was trouble. As soon as he took it down and I held it I just knew I had to have it, luckily my wife said go for it.

5 Likes

What’s the name of your band?

2 Likes

I’m a schecter fanboy, so that thing makes my pump flutter a little. I would think anything that makes you want to pick it up and play is an upgrade, specs be damned.
Those are both very nice, good grab!

3 Likes

basic life rule: music man = upgrade. always :joy:

2 Likes

Well said sir!! Though I am a little bias…

2 Likes

Rush of Red (don’t worry, all you’ll come up with is… Rush, of course. I don’t know that she thought this name through :eyes: )

2 Likes

me too :smile:

2 Likes

Woot!

2 Likes

Well alittle update, I like the Schecter so much, I took one of my higher end Spectors in and ordered in 3 more in different colors blue, purple, and a black with green slash’s.
And still had enough left over for another Sterling short scale.
I dont know what it is with those Shecters they just really fit me. Not to mention I love the looks and build quality.

5 Likes

Damn, talk about going all in.

3 Likes

That’s the most beautiful bass, congrats!

3 Likes

It’s only a matter of time @JustTim… you will have a Stingray Special. Many have tried, few can resist. All your previous acquisitions are preparing you for this moment.

4 Likes

You know, when I got my Schecter, I was in a very “I’d really like to try out an EBMM or Sterling Stingray” mood. I tried several of them, but… they just didn’t click for me. So I doubt the Stringray Special would either.

And if I was going to spend that much on a bass and wanted to go with another Dimension/Stingray/single H pickup bass, I’d probably have Kiesel make me a custom Icon or something. LIke this:

Yay for the Kiesel online bass builder. :smiley:

2 Likes