Thoughts on Davie504?

I mean, he had a hand in generating interest in me in the bass. I still watch some of his stuff–although mostly for the other bassists/musicians. He is technically accomplished and (claims to be) self-taught. His “schtick” gets old, but I am not going to begrudge someone who is making a living for himself entertaining people and giving exposure to other musicians. I liked his stuff better when it was just him playing and doing bass battles. Not a big fan of him reading reddit posts or playing minecraft. People take him too seriously with his “pick” thing.

5 Likes

Great bass player and he did a good job on making a living from his YouTube videos. Hope he can keep it up!

4 Likes

I consider him to to be an entertainer, first and foremost. A channel of educational value, last.

I’m not sure if he has value in encouraging others to play the bass.

2 Likes

I made it through 1-1/2 episodes. But then I usually only watch things that are jam packed with stuff I’m trying to learn.

2 Likes

He is more of a 10 minutes before I go to bed thing for me.

2 Likes

He seems like a nice guy and he’s definitely technically very good but I just find the whole 'Youtubiness" of his videos a real turn off.

3 Likes

It’s even worse with Charles Berthoud, who is immensely talented but adopted some of Davie’s youtubeisms, and while they worked well for Davie, they seem out of place with Charles.

Bummer too because he’s incredible.

6 Likes

I agree. I find it sad that Charles has adopted much of Davie’s schtick. To me, he seems way too talented to need that.

7 Likes

I amuses me that YouTube videos are too “YouTuby” for folks (FWIW, I do agree with this as well). Vicious cycle….if folks want to make $ on YouTube, they have to at some point serve the all mighty algorithms that drive people to them and to watch them.

All that said, is sure ain’t bad for free entertainment.

4 Likes

I think that the “too youtuby” adjective is not different than the “too commercial” for music, books, TV, all media really, isn’t it?Certain acts become popular or viral nowadays for the same reason as always: lots of people like what they do, simple.

I’ve watched davie504, not my thing….he’s really a comedian who plays bass, he’s videos are more about satire and punch lines, lots of clickbait, he’s an entertainer but I wouldn’t call him a musician because that’s not how he gets views.

5 Likes

My mom has a saying … “the masses are the asses”.

5 Likes

I guess. To me, watching a Davie video is like eating a pack of mars bars. You go in with the best intentions but afterwards you feel kind of guilty and ashamed of yourself and that there may have been a better way to spend that 3 minutes. These vids are all flashy visuals and memes to keep kids watching (like jingling keys in front of a baby’s face to keep its attention).

4 Likes

i actually like davie more than charles (as a player). sometimes i think bass is entering into what happened with guitar in the 90s, with technical efficiency being more important than musicality. berthoud isn’t exactly yngwie but he doesn’t hit the groove like davie does IMO.

6 Likes

my dirty secret: I don’t really like tapping

7 Likes

i don’t really dislike any technique as long as it’s well done and fits the song. a billion notes a second just to play a billion notes a second is just wanking off. and proof that you have spent waaayyy to much time in your bedroom with your bass :rofl:

5 Likes

The click-bait is strong in you :rofl:

7 Likes

I love his sense of humor. He’s got so many jokes in there under the radar it’s nuts. And he loves bass and is great at playing. Not every video is a winner but, it’s more entertaining (to me) than most things on TV.

Has anyone ever tried watching the #1 YouTubers? Pewteepie or that kid that opens toys? Davie is by far superior to both.

9 Likes

We, as bassists, might judge it like that.
However there’s a reason he rose to fame through the battle vid with Davie and that his viewer-base constantly grew after that.

He was talented before already and already made youtube videos, but with a vastly different amount of success.

4 Likes

Same with Davie, before PewDiePie featured him. Though he was relatively successful before that too.

4 Likes

:smiley: brilliant

2 Likes