Tofu or not tofu?

You and I have VERY different food tastes. :smiley:

1 Like

That’s probably true, but isn’t tofu just a vessel to consume other things with? Kind of like white rice. You’re never eating it plain. There’s always a sauce involved.

4 Likes

Oils, sauces or in a soup. It’s all good and good for you, assuming no soy allergy.

1 Like

That would take a very drunk and/or hungry eater.

2 Likes

exactly, which is why i don’t get when people say they don’t like tofu. you don’t actually taste the tofu much. it’s like saying you don’t like potatoes or rice or yucca. how do you not like it, it’s usually smothered in gravy and cheese or whatnot?

3 Likes

I’m sorry, yucca is eaten? I’ve made didges out of yucca, but I haven’t heard of it as a food.

2 Likes

Most likely a textural issue. Same reason I don’t like bananas - makes me feel like I’m eating a mouthful of boogers. Still eat them for the nutrients but I don’t chew them, sometimes bananas make me gag :rofl:

2 Likes

Japanese can tell you what region their white rice is from by taste. It has flavor

3 Likes

Ya gotta peel ‘em first. :rofl:

3 Likes

super popular in south american cuisine

3 Likes

@MikeC when will we see the Spam tnread?
Pam in a can

2 Likes

You mean:

“Mystery Meats We Don’t Know (What’s In Them) But Love All the Same”?

2 Likes

This is definitely a thing and relatively common. I’m not there yet but I can be happy now eating just plain white rice in pretty large quantities. There’s a lot more flavor there than you think, it’s just subtle. In fine dining, rice is often served as its own course at the end of a meal, in some minimally adorned form.

Tofu is the same, people can taste lots of differences. There’s lots of different variations and many popular dishes are njoyed with very little adorning the tofu. Like the hiyayakko mentioned above in the thread:

1 Like

Yea! Get it extra spicy, not only it’d melt your heart but your tongue as well, lol. I’m a medium spicy newbie but I love the freshly cracked eggs they put on it.

3 Likes

Totally yeah. So good.

2 Likes

Love hot and sour soup. My favorite soup.

4 Likes

OK, @Al1885, now you’ve gone and made f*¢#ing hungry! :weary:

3 Likes

If I never had Hot and Sour soup again, I’d be happy. Don’t like it at all.

Pho on the other hand…

4 Likes

I love Hot and Sour soup but prefer more substantial soup bases (miso, etc). Same is true for ramen and other dishes.

Except soba. I love me some soba in a simple dashi broth.

3 Likes

Sorry I just had this homemade street style wonton noodle. It’s what the kids had for lunch today.

7 Likes