Totally Off Topic: Mens shoes

Anyone know of any manufacturer/online retailer that sells actual leather shoes?–Like, old fashioned leather walking shoes or boots (not the wimpy sheen-bottomed dancing shoe loafers) with real leather, wooden soles/nails and not any of this crappy superglued foam onto faux leather with glued on/painted fake sole lacings? Seems like it is impossible to find a quality pair of mens shoes that last more than 6 mo/year. Even the name brand stuff is just superglued painted foam with a designer name on it at 3x the cost of what you can get at Target. I used to have a pair of dress shoes that I wore to the office on a daily basis–walking 2 city blocks and that lasted 10 years with 5 resoles. No more cobblers though.

2 Likes

boots: Redwings
shoes: i personally love Camper but may not be for everyone

1 Like

Like the look of the Camper Walden. Hmm.

I’ve been going with Merrell’s but the soles just do not last. Too soft.

I do like Dr. Martens shoes and boots, pretty solid. I also have a pair of Timberland boots I really like.
No resole for them though :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

literally my favorite brand. super comfortable, love the styling, last for longer than most, and kind of unique and funky.

1 Like

The Twins are cool too, though I want shoes without laces - you slip in and out of shoes a lot here.

i have Beetles that do that: love 'em. look like laces but are slip ons

1 Like

Ahh yeah, perfect. How long to the soles last? I go through Merrells in like 6 months of daily walking.

the pair i have now is like year 4 or 5 of wearing them often but not daily

1 Like

Hmm. Some of the Beetle styles look great. Might have to track those down, they are only like 1.5x the cost of Merrells.

usually get mine on zappos but not sure about japan.

1 Like

Amazon has them, no problem at all. Thanks for the tip!

Oh man, even though they lace, I really like the Brutus.

Lowa Zephyr GTX TF Mid
Not exactly the specs you posted but these are leather. They are light, water resistant, insulated but don’t make your feet sweat, and have great ankle support. This is my pair I got in 2015. They’ve seen 5 years of daily military service, two deployments, and I did a year of HVAC repair service in them. I think the company will resole them if you send them back as well. I’ve found them to be more comfortable and better for walking than any tennis shoe or sneaker.
Edit: also pretty good at slip resistance; no issues doing HVAC repair in fast food restaurants

1 Like

Oh I like those.

Just the other day I was thinking about how much I kind of wanted something like my issued jungle boots from decades ago. They authorized these black ones for a while that looked super good, too.

1 Like

Yeah, they hold a special place in your heart after a while. These are miles ahead of the boots that are still being issued though!

1 Like

https://originmaine.com/durable-goods/boots/

1. those look like they came off the set of Back to the Future II
  2. Cant really wear those to the office in a suit.
1 Like

rip

I tried ordering a “pork pie” (Marcus Miller type) hat today from a Texas and a Canadian company, and they didn’t have them in my size. Ironically, you got me real interested in this shoe, but they don’t come in 4E. Big head, wide feet. Thanks for adding to my pain @mpops1990

2 Likes