Travel bass practice board?

Wondering…what’s the difference between a TB-4P and any headless bass, i.e. Steinberger, Ibanez etc.?

2 Likes

Not sure as I have not tried others, but for sure can say this is a short scale and VERY light.
The ‘ultra-light’ being even lighter.
The overall lightness, the short scale, and the missing headstock all added to confusion when playing. The instrument does not react to your playing the same, moves alot more, etc. I missed the added heft of the headstock (maybe I could hang something from it?) to control fretboard movement a bit. Was a bit like trying to play one of those rediculous inflatable guitars people pass out at weddings and pretend are fun.

2 Likes

How about a Ubass (ukelele bass). They are tuned the same as a regular bass and some people around here have them.

1 Like

A Ubass has a 20" scale; seems like an adhjustment to move between

1 Like

Great for playing it, bad for practice as @Wombat-metal says.
Love mine for the thump it makes but would not want to be learning on it for any perior of time.

1 Like

I don’t know about the Steinberger or the Ibanez headless, but if you are traveling by plane, the TB-4P fits in an over head storage bin and it has a built in headphone amp as well as a standard 1/4" jack if you want to plug it in.
If you want to hear the TB-4P in action go to my User Video Index @JerryP - User Video Index
and starting with “Last Train To Clarksville” up to “Crazy” were done with the TB-4P. I was on a three month travel earlier this year.

1 Like

Ah! This.

The ultralight requires an in-between accessory like a Vox amplug or NuX MP-2 unless you want to use the abomina-- I mean stethoscope. :laughing: And the TP-4P still fits in an overhead bin? Nice.

4 Likes

Yes it does!

1 Like

I did not do my research well when I bought the ultralight, i just wanted smallest and figured i could deal.
Now the “Jerry” model seems more appealing.

2 Likes

@JerryP
I just realized your Traveler is 32", and my Ultra-light is 30".
I do have one 32" which is ‘med scale’ which does not bother me a bit to play.
On the hunt for a used version of yours, have a line here awaiting reply.
Live and learn.

2 Likes

I happened to get mine used from GC in Manhattan. $450.

1 Like

$315 (no gig bag), picking up Saturday.
Gig bag adds $60, still a good deal.

3 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

There’s always the Zo.

Short scale, built-in amp/speaker and headphone jack, and adorable - who wouldn’t love a bass shaped like a baby elephant?

Maybe hard to find in the US though.

7 Likes

kawaii

2 Likes

So I re-looked at the pictures of this bass and saw the little strap at the head was missing. Not a big deal but thought…hmm, maybe I will keep looking. So I told the guy I would pass and he dropped to $250! Picking it up tomorrow. Boom. So $310 all in, not bad at all.

3 Likes

@JerryP I’m off on holiday for a week and packed up my short scale, plus ZoomB1 and headphones. It all fits easily into a padded gig bag.

However I’d be interested in your thoughts (unless you’ve already done this and can point me in the right direction) on the traveller vs a “regular” bass.

I like the built in amp so just plug in headphones and go idea.

3 Likes

My thoughts would be this:
It is a 32" scale so it’s a bit smaller than a full size. I have no difficulty playing it compared to a full scale. Mine has Duncan designed pickups which sound great and I have covers posted using the TB-4P. The built-in headphone amp has a Aux In jack for playing along with backing tracks. The gig bag is well worth it as it is very well padded with extra room for accessories.
The only thing I would recommend is to tune it, use a string winding tool to turn the keys. The access hole around each tuning key is a bit small for my fingers so I carry with me a winder and use it to tune. It makes things much easier. I take the TB-4P with me every time I fly somewhere.

2 Likes

@JerryP thanks for the reply. That’s a sweet looking travel bass.

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone for posting such great advice! This is a fantastic forum and I’m thankful to be a part of it! Just starting module 3, I have much to learn but am thrilled to have this resource of kind and helpful people! Have a wonderful day!

5 Likes