Tuners!

Okay, I’m a little confused and potentially depressed. I have a Polytune Mini on my guitar board,set to strobe mode.
I have a Polytune clip-on, set to both bass mode and strobe mode, for my basses. I always considered the t.c. Electronic stuff fairly high quality and accurate.
I was considering the Strobostomp pedal for my yet-to-be-assembled bass pedal board, but was intrigued by the iStrobosoft app and iRig2 connected to my iPad instead. That’s almost $100 cheaper than the pedal.
In all of the discussions, the various Peterson “strobo” permutations are getting muddled.
Anyone want to set me straight?

1 Like

@LeftyChad

So I am stuck questioning my Korg again because I found out there are differences from my pedal and the new version. Accuracy, power consumption and even weight (which is not that important). So I am looking at Peterson again.

So I wrote into Peterson to see if their software would work on my older Apple devices (I have since left the Apple eco system) and they responded by stating the iPod and iPad I have will not be able to run the software properly if at all because of the changes they made to match the newer OS. In light of that I believe its better to buy a dedicated piece of equipment that should last for a long time with great accuracy without having to ever wonder if the device and OS, the app is installed on, is working properly and/or may have a glitch which would effect the outcome of its purpose.

The alternative is the app is so cheap it may be worth a try but if you are going to buy an iRig or any other interface you are nearing half the cost of a nifty pedal.

Hope I didn’t make things worse with my roller coaster ride.

4 Likes

Good to know, thank you!

2 Likes

Just to be clear, I only purchased the irig2 because I have an android phone and the $9 cable for a direct connection only works on iPhones, according to Sweetwater. You can use the app with the phone’s microphone and it works fine in a quiet environment, however, I jam a lot and needed the direct connection between my android phone and Bass because of the ambient noise level at a jam session.

HTH

2 Likes

One thing that is a bit “unfair” is Peterson gives the Apple version so much more functionality. I too am on Android these days. At the same time the computer version runs on Windows but not on the new iOS because it is still a 32 bit program.

2 Likes

Can you please explain what additional functionality the Apple version has?

2 Likes

You only need the $9 cable for Apple, but it only works on Apple.
I use android so needed the Irig2 instead for a direct connection.

1 Like

The additonal functions in iOS are as follows:

• Input Boost: The Input Boost Will Raise All Input Frequencies By +24db. (iOS Only)
  • Noise Filter: Use The Noise Filter When Utilizing An External Mic Or Clip-On Tuning Device To Help Reduce The Effect Of Extraneous Environmental Noise During Tuning. (iOS Only)
  • Extended Frequency Mode iOS Only (In-App Purchase)
  • Sweetened Tunings iOS Only (In-App Purchase)
  • Tuning Scopes iOS Only (In-App Purchase)
  • Buzz Feiten Support iOS Only (In-App Purchase)
  • Harmonic Tuning Mode iOS Only (In-App Purchase)
  • Assisted Low Note Detection iOS Only
  • Historic Temperaments iOS Only

Some are built in and some are for purchase.

Most of them are not a big deal but some are helpful such as the noise filter, input boost and especially assisted low note detect which all come native with the iOS version.

2 Likes

There are 130 sweetened tunings in the stomp pedal, so that means they cost you more in the app.

I also bet a lot of those things are there to deal with iOS based issues and the marketeers turned them into a ‘feature’, the boost is prob needed for this reason, etc.

The app is fine but not what I want to be doing when i hook up to play, i am lazy and want to plug into my board and tune.

3 Likes

Same here.

1 Like

Interesting.

What’s a pedal board :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The closest thing I’ve got would be my Zoom B1X4 but that’s it, and it has a working Bass tuner in it. If I want to play around with anything else I will just connect to Reaper.

The main reason I purchased the app was to tune at jam sessions and for the Peterson strobe ability. It works just fine for that.

The Zoom B1X4 and the Istrobosoft android phone tuner app are two of the best and cheapest add-ons for Bass that I have purchased and I found both to be top quality.

1 Like

If no one tells you you are out of tune, then your tuner works fine.
I’m just anal about basically everything.

2 Likes

Sweetened tuning sounds more”in tune” than 100% tuning. In general I just do regular tuning it get sweetened over time,lol.

1 Like

Easy, Apple have tight control over their apps and update, and also their ios apps usually get developed first because there’s no third is to slow down the updates.

Developers only need to do one update for Apple at most one per size. Imagine how many the have to do just for Samsung alone.

1 Like

I have not had an excellent experience with TC’s quality. I had to RMA the first thing I bought from them. The second thing I bought was fine but it was just a repackaged Behringer sold under the TC label since Behringer bought them.

So mileage varies with TC.

2 Likes

I have been going back and forth trying to minimize the amount of equipment I accumulate. I wish I could be satisfied with anything when it comes to everything above and beyond the bass itself. I admire the fact that you can find something and stick to it. I sold off a bunch of pedals but still have too many (I say this a day after receiving the MXR M81). I got the BOSS GT-1B to take their place. I keep going back to the pedals. I got the full suite of Amplitube. I do like the amp sims but other than that I go back to the pedals.

On the plus side I did get rid of all my amps.

1 Like

At this point I think the effects in the DAW sound better. Especially with what you can do easily with multiband effects, which trend very expensive in pedals.

But if I were to play bass live, even then I wouldn’t buy a bunch of pedals. I’d just get a Quad Cortex or Helix.

I liked my pedalboard but I don’t regret selling it off at all.

2 Likes

I find that most companies are doing this. Like multiple bass brands made under one roof. How different could they be as far as material goes?

I had a similar problem with EHX and the reason I sold them all except the POG. Not to mention they were caught labeling equipment made in the US when they were not. Not that where its made matters so much but if your lying about it you are not a trustworthy company for me to spend money on.

2 Likes

I might end up doing this. The only thing I probably would hold on to are the preamp and VT pedals.

Only problem, those LEDs look so pretty they are hypnotizing.

3 Likes

Pedals are cute little things for sure. I found them actually getting in the way when it comes to recording, though. And when the choice is between having the software remember everything for you, or taking notes and physically setting it so you can have te same settings between takes - yeah no thanks, bye pedals.

This is what finally pushed me over the edge to sell them all:

https://neuraldsp.com/plugins/darkglass-ultra

3 Likes