Tuners!

What do you use?

I have the Polytune3 and I have to say I don’t love it, esp for setups and intonation.
I find I have to let the ‘needle’ drop off the screen completely and pluck again to see the actual tuning. Almost like the ‘lock in’ (12:00, all green) is a wide band.

Do others notice this?
Are there better UIs?
I tried the ‘strobe’ mode on it and had no idea how to read it, it was a mess.

I get this unit’s claim to fame is being able to tune all the strings at once, but I really don’t do that, so looking to see what options there are in a pedal tuner.

2 Likes

Petersen iStroboStomp on iOS, with cable. It’s fantastic.

2 Likes

Peterson strobe for me. I have all 3 kinds the strobo pedal, 2 of the stands and one clip on. Actually I also have the app one as well with the little 1/8” jack for my iPad.

Did I say I’m a fan?

3 Likes

@Al1885

As far as Peterson goes, does anyone have the laptop software version?

If so how good is it?

2 Likes

That’s a great one, Howard. Had a chance to try one out at a local music shop. Couldn’t afford it though.

I have the Behringer TU300 Chromatic Tuner. For the price, it’s absolutely great. Good for setups as well, it seems quite sensitive. For everyday tuning, my Tech21 SH1 has a tuner built in, and it’s fabulous. It’s calibrated for bass only and is super quick.

2 Likes

By any chance do you have the original Harris Fender P Bass in metallic blue?

Always wanted one of those.

yeah I think this is the one thing that Josh steered me wrong on, just don’t like it.
I just ordered the Strobostomp.

2 Likes

No, that’s a bucket list bass for me, though I’d prefer the white reissue.

According to Steve’s bass tech they’re more like the one that he actually uses (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bsv2BfIw9g).

In a nutshell, SH’s P is the same one that used to be blue, the same one he’s had since the '70s but it’s been refinished white. However, the original SH signature P’s (the blue ones) had alder bodies, whereas his one has a maple body. The new ones are supposed to have maple bodies as well and are apparently closer replicas.

EDIT: Yes, I am a fanboi. Pretty pathetic at almost 50, but so there.

1 Like

I love the blue and the white would not be so bad but that West Ham logo. Why O why? Lol

2 Likes

I have the iOS version and it’s really accurate and fast. Glitchy at times but the update did its thing.

2 Likes

i was thinking of getting the iOS version but I have an older iPad and I’m not sure I can get it running on it to try it out. So many times when the OS changes certain software either starts flaking out or stops working all together.

1 Like

Hey now the west ham is awesome.

3 Likes

I have the iOS cable from Peterson and app but struggled with adapters and glitchiness.
Going to put the cable and adapter (when I find the dang thing) in my travel bass bag.

1 Like

I use the iStroboStomp iOS app and cable without any issues at all - it’s flat out the best tuner I have ever used. Like a Petersen pedal, but with a much better display.

The tuners on the Zoom B1four and B3n are quite decent.

I used to own a Boss Tu-2 and it was solid.

All the clip-ons I have tried - barely adequate.

2 Likes

Come home, turn on Zoom B1 four, use in built tuner, practice.

6 Likes

The bass looks great but still can’t get over the logo. I think it has something to do with me prefering Arsenal. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I noticed you have one of those Ray bridges on a P. How do you find it?

1 Like

This make me want to invest in their software. Its a bit pricey but lifetime updates and a massive display on a monitor maybe worth it.

2 Likes

The pricing on iOS is interesting. Cheap for just the tuner, and then in-app add-ons for the spectral analyzers and so on.

1 Like

I have a Korg Pitch Black on the board, the Gt-1B built-in and Amplitude plug in and they are all finicky especially on my 5 string and even worse for intonation. I was hoping the Peterson would be much better.

1 Like

Indeed. I have several tuners, including a very nice accurate Korg. Since I got my B1 Four they sit on a shelf and collect dust.

After all, I’m always running through the B1 Four, so all it takes is a foot tap. The indicators are large and easy to see, and it seems to be quite accurate (except for the time I accidently changed the A reference frequency :roll_eyes: ).

3 Likes