Tuners!

I found it online. Wait what?

It’s pretty awesome. Extra sustain for sure. A bit warmer and a little more sparkle octave bark.

Just 2 things beside the price I don’t like. First, you have to relax the string in order to adjust the height, it’s a PITA. second, you gain about an inch to inch and a half of strings. Some strings models, they don’t recommend that you trim the end, so it’s a lot of winding.

2 Likes

I just reset mine up tonight and I was cursing the string loosen, tighten repeat. It sounds great but one is enough.

3 Likes

And I thought my Warwick bridges were a bit much.

2 Likes

I love the Warwick bridge system. My only bummer with it was remembering the locknuts existed :slight_smile:

Also the locknuts are easy to strip. The good news is if you strip them it is no big deal and it’s not clear they are really needed.

But the rest of the bridge - probably the best bridge system there is. Love how adjustable it is.

2 Likes

I do like how much adjustment you can get out of them and next to a monorail system, you are right, they rock. I’m just getting lazy. But I can say once they are where you want it you hardly ever have to touch it again.

2 Likes

Now that it seems Peterson is king, I want to know which model is the best to invest in. Stomp, HD, Classic, VSS, software? Which makes the most sense to own, minus the tabletop monstrosities.

2 Likes

For the price it’s hard to beat the iOS version+cable even if you get a pedal.

2 Likes

The strobo plus hd is the way to go imho. The stomp is nice but each time it turns on it auto mute and using on a desktop is not ideal with the viewing angle. It was on my pedal board but I haven’t put it back yet. I was reconfiguring my amp.

I had one each but an HD was up on OfferUp for less than half price so I jumped on it.

2 Likes

I have a Peterson Strobostomp HD tuner.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StroboStompHD--peterson-strobostomp-hd-pedal-tuner

It’s more than I really need, but then again, it’s supposed to be one of the most accurate tuners out there.

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

I have yet to acquire a really nice tuner. Most of the time I use a Snark ST-8 (I think) clip on. If that’s being a bit fuzzy, I’ll hop over to an Amazon Basics plug-in tuner (although it came with a plug-in clip-on lead, I don’t use that though).

If ever I get to the point where I’m playing with others, I’ll probably get a better tuner. Although lately I have been seriously considering one of those Boss Zoom things (the actual name is eluding me right now).

1 Like

I use a Peterson StroboClip. Works great and I just leave in on my bass all the time.

3 Likes

I found headstock tuners to be very unreliable on my Bass. I have used them extensively on my electric guitars and acoustics with no issues, however.

This topic was been covered extensively on the forum not so long ago. Here is a link

And an excerpt from that link that I posted regarding my connection to an Androoid phone.

I highly recommend the istrobosoft phone app, from Peterson, for iphone or Android, but would caution that although it works without the direct connection to the phone it works best with the interface cable and for $7 for the app + $40 for an irig2 interface I ended up with a great strobe tuner for a fraction of the cost of a standalone strobe tuner for hundreds of dollars.

1 Like

I returned the Polytune 3 and got a Boss TU-3. I found the polytuning feature to be more annoying than anything else.

I’m not a fan of the phone or computer tuners. Not because there’s anything wrong with them. I just like getting away from those devices as much as I can. Although, I did finally get an email saying my Audio Interface is finally on it’s way and the separation between computer time and bass time is about to get a lot slimmer.

I really like the display on the Petersen StroboStomp but it does so much more than what I would ever need. I almost got one till my son started giving me crap saying that I was the only person that ever had GAS for a tuner. Little shit. I should have gotten it just to prove him right.

These Korg tuners look really cool too. I like all the lights.
Pitchblack Custom - PEDAL TUNER | KORG (USA)
Pitchblack Pro - RACKMOUNT TUNER | KORG (USA)

Hmmm. I seem to have gone on a bit of a tangent.

6 Likes

I use the Korg clip on version (Sledgehammer Custom 100).
It works just fine for Bass and seems pretty accurate.

I also have a Tuner built into my amp which is really convenient!
I see Orange do the same thing on some of their models.

1 Like

That’s one sexy looking tuner you got there. :rofl:

Couldn’t agree more! I just posted about this too - walk into the room and I’m tuned and practicing in under a minute.

1 Like

I have the Peterson StroboStomp HD as well…I also have a chromatic tuner as well, but I prefer the peterson…sometimes I just use the built in tuner on Logic Pro, depending on what I am doing.

1 Like

Clip ones are not good for two things…

1. B strings
  2. Intonation setting
    Even meh pedal tuners can be bad for both of these.

If you get into either, go big and get a high quality tuner, at least this is what i have learned.
I ordered the Peterson stomp HD for my board and asking for the new HD one for my bench for xmas (becuase I am super lazy).

2 Likes

I still use an old korg ga-30 I’ve lost the back to it and the batteries keep falling out but is works for guitar + bass inc 5 string with low b or high c seems to work for intonation too
I should really upgrade and reading through this the Peterson seems a good idea

1 Like

That’s exactly why I got the strobe tuner in the first place. B string and intonations.

I also like the Roadie tuner bass. It’s pretty cool especially for guitars but works pretty well with bass. Many times I’d use both to check the accuracy of the roadie, to my surprise it comes within a few cents of accuracy. Very impressive. But of course some of the stiff tuners get not sons tellers result.

1 Like