Tuners!

I love my Polytune 3. I don’t have any of those issues with it.

2 Likes

I have one of these as well and it disagrees with the polytune. At first I thought it was the Kiev but now I’m not so sure. When the Peterson arrives I’m putting them all to the test head to head.

It’s not that I think one is more accurate than another, and know there’s differences between them all, but they each have quirkiness to their UIs that I think make them more or less accurate to use by a dope like me.

3 Likes

+1 for this. I don’t philosophically like phone apps for precision measurement. Too many things change often enough for me to trust that platform for something I want to be consistent.

2 Likes

I read somewhere in the ratings that you had to pay extra for the software upgrades on the Plus HD. Is that true?

3 Likes

No I don’t. Frankly I don’t need anymore setting on the HD. It’s already massive. It won’t get anymore accurate that’s for sure.

3 Likes

Was just about to pull the trigger on a StroboPlus HDC (preorder) but I just found out it has a built in battery and have to be charged. Not really my thing. So its either the stomp or the software for me now.

Anybody use the software version, not the mobile version?

2 Likes

Korg tuners for the win! Got a modified Pitchblack (mini) tuner and my overused GA-50. My clip-on is also a Korg. I also fancy the Boss TU-3.

Lately I just use plugin tuners since I started playing behind my computer again.

3 Likes

I have a Pitch black which I love the look and construction of but when it comes to the low B and intonation its seems to jitter too much. Could be just me.

3 Likes

Tbf I never had any issues with any brand of tuners. There are many factors that come to play for tuning tho. For example I had to do a full configuration on a Floyd Rose tremolo bridge on a 7 string guitar, holy shit that was tedious… For tuning the B I had to make sure to mute all the other strings since it resonated so much. Maybe the same goes for a fiver. Didn’t had any issues with my Warwick 5 string.

2 Likes

That is exactly what I have. A Warwick Thumb NT 5. Do you have the original or advanced pitch black pedal?

1 Like

Actually I use the mini since I didn’t had much space left on my pedalboard. :sweat_smile: The thing is I that I wanted a tuner with a buffer so I bought a modified one from one-control.

https://www.one-control.com/tuner/minimal-series-tuner-with-bjf-buffer-tune-powered-by-korg-

Maybe because of the buffer the signal is more clear? I don’t know if the standard pitchblack has one but on a pedalboard I would personally look for a tuner that acts as a buffer as well. That said the Boss TU-3 worked fine as well.

3 Likes

This is what I have. Never an issue with it

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PitchBlackADV--korg-pitchblack-advance-tuner-pedal

4 Likes

Thanks @Paul and @Wombat-metal.

After both of you stated you found your Korgs to work so well, I played around with my Pitchblack and it has strobe mode (4 tuning modes all together). That helped out with the B and intonation. What is weird is my Pitchblack does not have the word advanced written on it but looks exactly the advanced with the same fuctionality and nothing like the previous model. The previous model has the LEDs above the note display, the advanced has the LEDs below it.

RTFM. Sometimes the answer really is in the little booklet they give you.

2 Likes

I actually wonder if many of the clip-ons are the same basic circuitry branded for big name brands. Kind of like the AmPlugs. Many of them have the same features.

3 Likes

I wish they offer the usb type c already but it’s not bad. The stomp offer both negative center or usb. Pretty cool.

I know more is better value but really how many setting do you need? I sure don’t need metronome on my tuners.

1 Like

The main difference is the display. Some have metronomes build in.

2 Likes

For the Peterson Strobostomp HD peeps, do you use the bass sweetened tuning?

2 Likes

So i just plugged in the Strobostomp HD.

I have just this week re-setup every bass I own on the Polytune3.
The intonation is all off on each one, and all relatively consisitenly off by a bit sharp (at least I am consistent).

I now know why I did not like the iOS version of the tuner, it was way off vs. the Polytune too, and chalked it up to the iOS version, not so!
Does it matter in the grand scheme of what I am doing? that depends on you, but if you are a stickler, this Strobostomp or OS version will get it right.

I am a full convert.

3 Likes

Yeah, pretty sure iStroboStomp is the best tuner I have ever used, and the pedals are just as good. Definitely the pinnacle of tuners as far as I can tell.

2 Likes

Looks like the Polytune got all my intonations sharp, on bass #4 now and about the same across. Could be a blend of UI resolution and tuner accuracy, either way, glad I invested.

1 Like