Uh…this guy plays Billie Jean — like, ALL parts, including melody

Me, too.

Boh does it live. Charles in youtube vids. My bet is on Boh.

1 Like

We like what we like. No right, no wrong. Just predilections.

He’s also been session player for two decades. My money would be on Boh, but I’m biased.

Funny how that works - I do the exact opposite. Davy’s style is too over-the-top for me and I unsubscribed, but Charles is more tolerable for me. (Plus lately, I find that Davy rarely actually plays more than about 15 seconds, and Charles plays more consistently) .

3 Likes

I’m with you, Ken.

And Charles also has full, unedited concert videos posted online in which he plays several of his original compositions from his albums, which showcase his range of playing techniques.

1 Like

I do hope for Charles that people would stop comparing him to Davie even if that was the key to his success. For me he is just another YouTube creator. Very talented and the thing that impresses me with Charles is his musical creativity and production with the bass. That is also how Davie initially started his channel. The humor came later. :wink:

2 Likes

I completely agree, Paul.

Honestly, the whole reason I started this thread was because of the amazing musical arrangement/treatment of Billie Jean, since BJ is so commonly the bane of BuzzBassers’ existence. I thought it would be fun to marvel at the myriad creative ways a bass virtuoso could treat the entire piece, not just the bass line we learn/practice/play.

I never intended to spur a comparison to, or a competition between, other talented players. To the contrary, I just wanted to share a very cool example of excellent playing to inspire and entertain us as we traverse our collective bass journey.

4 Likes

Yeah don’t worry about it. It’s just a common derail on this topic.
Awesome player nonetheless. :ok_hand:

2 Likes

When I first saw this video my thought was: “was this guy lurking at the B2B forum? Or is billy Jean a common rite of passage?”
I think that he has other songs where he makes it “the most difficult” or somebody else does, so probably just a cynical coincidence to make us feel less adequate :crying_cat_face: I mean his version makes the course exercise look like twinkle twinkle little star

7 Likes

Who doesn’t sleep with their bass? Are we not supposed to do that?

7 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

ok that’s just sick makes me wanna quit

4 Likes

Welcome, @Jeff74. This guy, Charles Berthoud, wants to inspire players.

Glad you’re with us. Keep on thumpin!

3 Likes

@Reo Billie Jean is a rite of passage bass line. Once upon a time Josh talked about this and had said that was why he included it so early in the course.

@KenKnight Not too long Davie mentioned that he would prefer to do more bass focused videos but they don’t get very many clicks any more. To keep growing his channel he has to create what works.

5 Likes

That was awesome, I love Slappy and Tappy Jean :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I love watching both Davie and Charles. Davie may seem a bit stoic but you can’t knock his talent, especially slapping. Charles is almost the exact opposite (at least on YouTube). He’s personable, likes a laugh and LOVES challenging Davie. Like Davie, he’s a great slapper but I love how he taps.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry too much for Charles. He’s an excellent player in his own right but he plays off Davie really well and vice versa. They love challenging each other and both are pretty much equal.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard one of these basses sound this good! Charles is awesome!

5 Likes

https://youtu.be/lcz9S5ynnR0

https://youtu.be/rbFMpZm0Dbo