Underrated bassists

What are some bassists that you think people don’t talk about enough. A personal influence of mine is Nick O’Malley when it comes to emulating tone :).

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @ArcticMonkeMan
There’s been a few previous threads about this very topic.

2 Likes

At my bad, I did not check thank you for telling me :).

2 Likes

No worries :smiley_cat: Thank you for participating in the forum!

1 Like

I would say Krist Novoselic. What I mean by that, is that he is better than people think.

He really was a great bassist that was overshadowed by Cobain and Grohl. “Lounge Act” has a great bassline to it that stands out.

6 Likes

The bass on Bleach - the whole album - is so good.

3 Likes

I’ll take a listen!! I never got into nirvana but I’ll go see

2 Likes

welcome @ArcticMonkeMan!

1 Like

James Dewar with Robin Trower, Michael Anthony was solid as a rock, John Deacon seemed over shadowed, and everyone on this forum is under rated.

2 Likes

Although a double bass player the work of Danny Thompson is sublime. He is a giant of the British folk scene, which may not be to everyone’s taste here, but he was integral to the sound of the late, great John Martyn. Here’s an interview with him and if you are not familiar with him I’d urge you to check him out Danny Thompson | On Playing Bass | Big Muff (johnmartyn.info)

1 Like

Mani!
Definitely not talked enough about, imho.

1 Like

Yeah!

You know about Freebass, right? Peter Hook, Mani, Andy Rourke 3-bass supergroup :slight_smile:

It ended poorly but their release was cool.

3 Likes

Very nice! I don’t know them but just love the Stone Roses.

2 Likes

I only learned about it like last year. Three awesome Manchester bassists in one band, that didn’t even make it to record release without blowing up :slight_smile:

Maybe this should have been a clue. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Indeed, I’m surprised no one lost teeth :slight_smile:

Now I am remembering everyone at clubs thinking Ian was singing “I wanna be a dog”

1 Like

Good one @chris6, it’s didn’t cross my mind the first time someone mentioned ‘underrated bassists’. But that’s 'cause I’ve been diving into others in the folk scene. Danny is a fine man to listen to, you’re familiar with his contribution to the BBC Transatlantic Sessions?

1 Like

I think Duff McKagen. Some might say he is well known, but I’ve seen him get a lot of crap for some reason. His bass lines are really cool and he has a very cool musical synergy with slash. Check out My Michelle, Mr. Brownstone and the intro to Sweet Child of Mine…on the latter people focus on how cool the guitar luck is, but often don’t realize Duff is playing some really cool lead that fits GREAT with that riff.

2 Likes

Weird, I wouldn’t call Duff underrated - he’s pretty widely respected. Don’t know who is slagging him, that’s odd - I can understand not liking G&R (not my thing either) but all in all he’s a solid bassist. Very good at supporting the band while not being simple and boring.

Yeah I would think so too. But he doesn’t tend to come up much, and is really good. In a way so is Elefson from Megadeth…I’d even put him up against Cliff to be honest.

1 Like