Underrated bassists

Derek Smalls?
dereksmalls-470x470

8 Likes

I would put Colin Greenwood of Radiohead in here. He’s known for being in the band, but his bass lines are really tasteful and support the song. He knows when to restrain his playing and when to throw in more explosive playing.

1 Like

He’s actually really really good, especially given all the funky time signature stuff they do.

1 Like

He does have a really funky sound. Colin also makes great use of space in his bass lines. My favorites from him are: Airbag, I Might Be Wrong, 15 Step, Nude, and Weird Fishes.

1 Like

Ahh by “funky” I meant “strange” here, sorry - Radiohead does a lot of interesting work with changing time signatures in songs. They also use some odd ones like 5/4.

1 Like

Yes x 1,000,000

1 Like

And his mighty double necked bass!

Here is one I know is under rated, as I don’t know his name off top of my head. The bassist to Incubus is really good, they even have a funk rock track that he really goes off.

I think Cake’s bassists don’t get enough love. Victor Damiani was the bassist for Fashion Nugget (one of my favorite albums) and contributed some amazing playing. Then Gabriel Nelson took over and played with them during their Comfort Eagle and Prolonging The Magic apex.

1 Like

Thank you so much for bringing the bass playing of Cake into this. What a phenomenal band with such massive grooves.

1 Like

I was listening to some old Free albums on Tidal yesterday whilst working at an event and it struck me how interesting some of Andy Frasers Bass lines are. When you listen to ‘that other’ famous rock three piece, Led Zeppelin (apologies to Robert plant in calling it a three piece but you know what I mean) Jimmy and John Paul Jones work together seamlessly to produce heavy driving rythymns but Paul Kossoff and Andy Fraser work differently (to my ears anyway), almost playing against each other to create a much emptier sound but with interesting dualing melodies. Does anybody else rate the work of Andy Fraser?

1 Like

I’ll try Billy Gould of Faith No More. He might get some love, but if he has, I haven’t really seen it.

1 Like

Jazz odyssey!

1 Like

and both 4 strings :rofl:

I tell you, that movie just got it

One’s a shortie too (I think)

1 Like

mark from talkingbass just did a podcast with him. if it’s not out yet it will be soon.

nope, both the same which is what made it hilarious

2 Likes

Ahh yep, was just the angle, that makes it even funnier :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cool, will have to start listening to his podcast.

1 Like

actually I haven’t listened yet to his interview series but I think they are on his YouTube channel not podcast, sorry.