Underrated bassists

Yeah, I’ve seen that. He just had Suxie Quatro on…pretty sure I saw that link somewhere in the forum…

No idea who is over-, under-, or properly rated. Here’s an incomplete list of bands that I enjoy listening to in particular because of what the bass is doing/how it sounds: Chris Slorach of METZ, Bob Weston of Shellac, David Wm. Sims of Scratch Acid/The Jesus Lizard, Joe Lally of Fugazi, Carlos D of Interpol, Dave Allen of early Gang of Four, Tina Weymouth of Talking Heads. Love me some Geezer Butler of Black Sabbath but I doubt he’s underrated.

2 Likes

Absolutely. Amazing bassist. Shriekback (his next band) had great basslines too.

Gang of Four was awesome. They replaced him with Sara Lee and (occasionally) Gail Ann Dorsey, so they always had top notch bass players back in the day.

The guy that was touring with Andy Gill before he passed away recently was awesome too.

Lots of love for Tina too. Her and Chris make an awesome unit.

1 Like

Two names that I would definitely say are missing in this list are Doug Ferguson and Colin Bass, both from the band Camel. Doug has some awesome bass lines on Camel’s first albums, and Colin has done some great work on the fretless bass.

1 Like

Welcome @peteralserda!

1 Like

Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like