Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

So what you’re saying is you have leftover parts… :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

TI Jazz flats on, fret board oiled & all the chrome polished while I was waiting for them :laughing:
So far so good :slightly_smiling_face: Not a bad bass for a home brew & what little it’s cost :joy:

12 Likes

FCPX IS a Mac app from the ground up.

The original Final Cut was not an Apple application. FCPX is Apple’s brainchild and they broke the video editing mold when they designed it. But all for the best.

I was a longtime devotee of FCP, and learning FCPX took some major paradigm shifting for me and other pro editors to wrap our heads around its unique workflow. But FCPX’s features stand head and shoulders above those of other video editing software.

3 Likes

Yeah, a lot of people were really butthurt about their workflows being broken, but coming in to it as a new user, FCPX seems like a stellar app. My wife is getting great use out of it.

3 Likes

Oh, the editors’ pitchforks came out, for sure. v1.0 was not ready for prime time when it was released, so that didn’t help assuage anything either.

I kept using FCP classic until FCPX bug fixes and new features emerged, but I was really tired of the kludginess of FCP.

FCPX’s revolutionary magnetic timeline, powerful compound clips, and a universe of plugins made specifically for it have been game-changers for me. It’s been a home run for decades now. I love working with it.

I can understand why. Some places had thousands of dollars (or sometimes much more) invested in their workflows and tooling.

But that said the end result is a great app.

I’ll probably be buying Logic, laid down a drum track in it last night to get a feel for its workflows and it was quite nice really. I’ll record some other instrument parts and see how it goes. MIDI composition was super easy though.

2 Likes

It’s the logical way.

1 Like

I’d be quite interested in getting a (brief) breakdown of your workflow at some point… I guess the drum tracks we ultimately are going for will be quite different in several ways, but I am sure I could pick up a lot of good input from you given your more extensive experience. I think I might finally have to accept that neither e-drums nor StrikePads et al will be a valid/practical way forward for me (for several reasons), and I will have to get used to programming drums.

2 Likes

Happy to put something together! It’s not hard. The MIDI editors in modern DAWs are great, basically a piano roll/beat ruler matrix.

One neat thing with Logic that I noticed that might give you some ideas is that you can use the AI Drummer output as MIDI instead of audio. This could give you examples of what to shoot for in your own MIDI editing;. Haven’t tried it myself.

2 Likes

Ha! See, I didn’t know that… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

The AI drum track feature from Logic is great! I guess most paid drum plugins have something similar?

2 Likes

I have no experience with external drum VSTs, but would like to know, too. I would guess they do if you just use the sounds (but not the patterns) that come with the VST packs!?! Then it would still be Logic controlling them!?

One of the coolest features of the Logic Drummers is that you can set them to “follow” another track (e.g., a bass track) and thus you’ll never play “against the drummer” really.

3 Likes

Many have canned drum tracks, riffs, fills, etc. I don’t really use those myself though, I just buy the plugins for their kits and use them the way you would use a sampler with drum samples. Many of them are nice and have things like their own drum bus mixers internal to the plugin, which is nice.

I don’t know of any with the same “follow” abilities as the ones in GarageBand or Logic. It’s a cool feature.

I use this one:

It comes with something like 2400 MIDI patterns and fills; never touched them :rofl:

3 Likes

What I would like to have is the possibility to have variations, especially for a given snare drum: center hits, off center hits, rim shots, and so on. And, the possibility to allow for ghost notes, as opposed to have a snare with always the same velocity level throughout.

(And, I don’t want to sound like Lars Ulrich :rofl:)

2 Likes

Oh they do, along with also selecting different mics. Or at least SSD5 does. He recorded the samples in lots of different ways and you can mix individual mics up and down. There’s different MIDI notes you use for striking in various places on things. Different kits have more or less of each. You can see a few of the mapped notes from my current kit on the piano roll here; several types of snare hits, two kick hits, etc:

2 Likes

Cool - thanks!

3 Likes

I went ahead and sprung for Logic. It’s actually really good, nice DAW. It will have a nice home in the Dock next to Reaper for me.

6 Likes

Cool. Glad to hear it.

3 Likes

Can’t fault that logic

6 Likes