Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

I just bought a M2 Mac Mini and seriously, for $650 with applecare from Costco it’s really mindblown. I just do the storage expansion on my own spending less than half of what Apple is charging. I paid $79 for the expansion hub and $130 for the 2TB NVMe SSD. It’s more for video than audio recording and editing.

I haven’t use my Logic for a few years now, the GarageBand is more than plenty and simple for me right now. I have Final Cut Pro but I’ve been using iMovies and LumaFusion to do all of my video editing because it’s much more simple to use. Every time I drop a video on the finalcut it takes out the HDR or whatever filter or setting I have and before anything else I have to adjust the picture quality, it’s just a KillJoy, lol.

4 Likes

Yeah seriously, I have a spare 1TB SSD lying around that I am gonna throw on as an external drive, total cost $17 for the drive enclosure.

The new 2023 Minis are awesome. Performance is a huge step up from the intel Macs.

4 Likes

Speaking of upgrading.

I upgrade the Marcus Miller bass with Aguilar Hum canceling pickups, then installed the John East Marcus Retro Preamp. While I have everything open up I just re-applied the conductive paint. Next week if i have time I’d swap out the tuners, they are terrible, low ratio and just so heavy. I don’t mind the Vintage style reverse winding but please.

I just happened to have a set of Hipshot HB3 in my bass pantry, don’t ask me how I have it, lol. Hopefully, it’d feel better.

7 Likes

Big time! I have both M1 and M2 iPad Pro and they are just killers. I’m using the Samsung T7 as external right now but I ordered the hub with SSD and NVMe connection that would be like a base to put my M2 Mini on top, that’s cool, I thought. Over the weekend Samsung 2TB 970 EVO plus was on sale for $129 so why not.

I’d never gonna edit a full length feature film so the base M2 mini is plenty for me. I only hope that Final Cut Pro would have an Idiot proof option that I can turn it on and use it as an overkilled iMovie, lol.

3 Likes

FCPX is not bad. There’s a lot there but basic editing is straightforward. A few youtube tutorials will sort you out.

2 Likes

Thanks @howard I know that you can drop the footages in without alteration just like iMovies but so far I’ve not got the time to research yet, lol.

My goal is to do a cover with 10 basses and just drop 10 layers of footage on to it and start editing. None of the softwares/apps, that I use so far would allow me to do that just 2 layers.

All you have to do with your HDR, or whatever, is to save it as a .mov with all the effects, titles, etc. you applied and it will import into FCPX with everything as you created.

But if iMovie does all you need, you’re done. FCPX is a tool with tons of pro features and functionalities that most folks will never need.

3 Likes

Apple’s free apps are surprisingly good. Always have been. Like, I’m still pissed I sprung for Aperture and got burned, should have just stuck with iPhoto.

2 Likes

FCPX can do this easily. All that’s needed is to add your clips as you like, then create a compound clip that includes all those clips. Then you can edit that single compound clip any way you want.

1 Like

Resolve can do it too. Easy.

2 Likes

Ok when I upload or drag and drop my video files onto iMovies it never ask anything, but do the same to FCPX then it removes all of the extra filters like HDR and what not, the video are so wash out and overexpose that I have to fix them before I can move on. I’m gonna try to figure it out how to do it, lol.

Having used both I would personally go with FCPX over Resolve on a Mac. But Resolve is free, which is nice. Nothing wrong with Resolve and it is super powerful, but FCPX is just as much so, and is actually lighter weight and generally feels like a Mac app from the ground up.

FCPX just have a few things that I really want to use. I know it’s much more in depth than iMovie and I’m willing to put in the hours to learn to do it. I’ve got 3 kids, it’s time to do lots of videos. lol.

2 Likes

I’m happy to help you with FCPX, @Al1885. Anything you need. I work with it every day for a living.

Just PM me with what you want to know and let’s make it happen.

3 Likes

Thanks @MikeC that’s very generous of you, I’ll make sure you are sorry you’d ever offer me that, lol.

I’ll be hitting you up soon with the proper work flow and uploads. Thanks again.

3 Likes

Bring it on, brother. Not a thing.

2 Likes

Haha, yes, talk about holding a grudge :wink:

I got Aperture, had it for less than a year and it got discontinued - a real WTF moment indeed!

Apple - hits and misses…

2 Likes

I was especially mad because the reason I chose it over Lightroom was I thought that Apple would have a better track record at maintaining it forever :rofl:

2 Likes

Same here :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

just a note for those of you looking to upgrade your software skills, most public libraries in the USA have a subscription to LinkedInLearning (formerly Lynda.com) - and a membership to said public library is free and you can have access to all the tutorials. worth looking into, usually you can get all signed up right online.

2 Likes