Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

I now have my iMac music workstation with SSL 2 set up and running. I just got my M-Audio Hammer 88 hooked up and I installed Logic. Everything works seamlessly.

Unfortunately, most of the free software the Hammer 88 makes available for download is woefully behind the MacOS curve, so its incompatibility renders it useless for me. But, luckily, Logic is loaded with really good instruments, so all is well. :+1:

3 Likes

Getting and figuring out Logic is high on my “gotta have” list. Congrats and enjoy.

4 Likes

Thanks, @booker_t. Logic has a 90-day free trial. I’m definitely going to buy it, but I’m using the free trial for all it’s worth. :smile:

6 Likes

I’ve got an old (2016) MacBook, and there are things in the budget that come before a new one. After reading your post I did go on and see that Logic is transferable to a new Mac. I did not know about the free trial, so now it’s just a matter of timing that right. Thank you.

5 Likes

First piece of software I installed :rofl:

3 Likes

Wait for a deal on Arturia Analog Lab and you’ll be set forever (unless you want to program the synths, in which case you’d want V Collection). For most people Analog Lab is enough and is a great deal on a huge number of classic synths.

Or just get Pigments for a modern one and be done :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Taking a little closer look, Reaper is definitely more flexible in routing and effects. You can stack effects on almost anything in Reaper; track inputs, track outputs, isolated regions of tracks, etc. Logic appears to do so only on track outputs, unless I have missed it so far.

Which is enough for many people but is definitely a place where people would reach for Reaper or Pro Tools if they needed this kind of thing. I’ve actually used this (the region effects are quite useful). You could simulate this in Logic with multiple tracks but it’s a nice convenience in Reaper.

I’m going to play with the trial for Logic, it seems quite nice really. Interesting to compare. Logic kind of feels like a nice middle ground between something like Reaper and something like Ableton Live.

3 Likes

Here is a comparison between Logic and Reaper. The guy seems to have a handle on both of them and a few other DAWs.

3 Likes

Couple minor factual errors in there (e.g. Reaper actually comes with hundreds of plugins, they are just hard to find and are very very spartan) but overall an interesting comparison, thanks!

3 Likes

that’s probably exactly it, yeah

4 Likes

You are way more experienced in using a DAW (and really using it) than me, and especially when it comes to routing etc (still only starting to explore this), so thanks for the input. And I will take a closer look at the page @MikeC provided as well.

As far as I can tell, Logic seems to be doing OK though on stacking effects:

Anyway, will be interesting to hear your experiences in the comparison.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s not the amount, it’s where you can put them. Those are all on track output. Sometimes it makes sense to put them on input. And sometimes you just want them on parts of tracks, not the entire track.

2 Likes

Very minor “annoyance” upgrade.
When I put the white pickup covers on the Edwards E-Groover, it Elena (edit: was very clear, friggin autocorrect) that the parchment colored pickguard was clashing. The binding on the neck is pure white like the pickup covers, so, now a pure white pickguard. Matchy matchy.

11 Likes

that’s a really great looking bass :star_struck:

7 Likes

Elena? You lost me.

Good looking bass though

4 Likes

Eeesh that’s a bad auto correct, I don’t even know what I was trying to type. Lol.

4 Likes

Mulva?

5 Likes

Love that bass @John_E . Very special

3 Likes

It had to be done…

4 Likes

Yeah I love everything about it. ESP sells great stuff in the Edwards line.

6 Likes