Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

Tracking stopped three days ago when it made it to Japan (but being shipped from China to the Japan office of a shipping company in Taiwan, which really makes no sense). I am guessing lack of interoperability in tracking systems.

5 Likes

I have been upgrading I would get it completed. Then a few weeks to a month. I would be stripping one of my 3 basses. Well anyway here are my two beauties both are Rogue basses. I have a SX100B my Generic Pbass, and a LX205B series three.

Neon orange strings is a Generic Pbass. I cut the wire that connects each coil. Added a 250K push pull volume pot. A 250K tone pot with a 10uf capacitor. Mr. 5 string originally had 2 volume and 2 tone pots. I never liked that setup. {Even the Les Paul 's 2 volume and 2 tone pots.} Now the Strat 2 tones and 1 volume I like, and had Mr. 5 string wired like that. It had 1 master volume and a tone pot for each pickup. Now she has a 100k master volume pot, a 250K treble cut pot. With a .47uf capacitor, and a 1meg bass cut pot with a 47uf capacitor. I need to find old 50’s -60’s basses and guitars. Because, of the way their sounds.

3 Likes

Same thing happens here too @howard if I do buy from China

3 Likes

You have swapped more pickups than I have changed socks, so I would think it was a problem with the ground on the pickup side where you can’t get to it. How was rhe space in the cavity with the Audere installed? I’ve looked at them for my jazz but backed off for several reasons, battery changes being one of them.

3 Likes

Eh screw it, found another pickguard locally for half the price. Ordered it. If both come, I’ll sell the one that I like least.

5 Likes

It’s tight

4 Likes

Wow apparently they lied and really did ship it to Taipei. Just got another notification that it finally just landed in Japan.

Note that it started about 500 miles from Japan, tops.

6 Likes

Well, China-Japan relationship is at best complicated :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Not as complicated as China/Taiwan :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Maybe they had to smuggle it over in a small fisher boat in the middle of a moonless night :ninja:

4 Likes

Start the clock. I have no upgrades in the works or planned. How long will this last?

4 Likes

End of day :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Finally got the P90 in my Telecaster. Sounds great.

This took way longer than it should have because I had to do some surgery on the pickup itself to make the 4-way switch work. Basically I needed to unsolder this little wire (one of the coil outputs) which had been jumping to the pickup body ground, solder a longer wire to it, and convert the 2-wire pickup to 3-wire. Otherwise the pickup chassis would have been ungrounded in the serial position.

Also, let me reiterate my hatred of the gibson-style braided ground. It’s awful around, say, switches; too easy to rub and ground out one of the switch terminals.

Replaced the Mint Green pickguard with white too, so now The Twins look even more like twins.

16 Likes

Tiny upgrade to the Peavey Patriot today. I switched the Billy Sheehan rounds out for GHS Precision flats I had left over from my first P-bass.

Wow! Those warm SS flats play so nicely with that roasty hot superferrite pup. Love it!

7 Likes

I need advice.

I once said I won’t buy Jazz Bass due to single coil noise (which I cannot stand).
Well, I had an opportunity to try used Fender American Professional II Jazz
Bass. I bought it as I love its playability.

Obviously, there is/was a noise issue. So I did a bit of research and switched my pickups to Lindy Fralin’s Jazz Split Coils.

Cool, the noise is gone. Complete silence. Love it.

Now I observed another thing. I lost a bit of treble, the sound does not bite as it used to. Also, the tone knob… I can barely hear any difference when I roll it off.

I know there are ways to overcome that with different volume pots and different tone caps. But I’d like to understand how different values affect the tone to make the right choice.
As an example here are options from Fralins page:

4 Likes

0.022mfd is not enough for a bass IMO. You should go for at least 0.047 , or 0.068 if you want a more dramatic treble drop when turning down your Tone. Or even 0.1 if you want something that can go really dark.

11 Likes

That’s good to know.

5 Likes

I put 0.1 in my Sire U5. It made a world of difference.

6 Likes

Ok. So my original config was 250K CTS Pots VVT + 0.05 capacitor + Switchcraft output jack.
Today I am upgrading to my new (made to order) solderless KiOgon Wiring Loom (a really nice guy from UK’s Basschat forum).
It’s 500K CTS Mojo Pots VVT + 0.068 capacitor + PureTone output jack.

New loom on the right:

Update:
I got my treble back, and the tone knob roll-off is more noticeable (although I may try 0.1 cap at some point in the future).
What is more interesting, I now get a stronger signal.

6 Likes

You know your original electronics were pretty good. Wiring job a bit messy but overall the components were fine. Agree that 500k is probably a better choice though.

New stuff looks great too.

I have both Switchcraft and Puretone jacks and like them both. TBH the Puretones can be a bit grippy.

Are both sets of pots the same taper? Linear vs log (audio)?

3 Likes