Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

Weird my Fender jazz bass is not noisy at all. If it really bothers me I would prob use a noisegate.

4 Likes

This is going to depend very much on your environment. My Jazz bass is as quiet as a mouse in my room. Take it into my workshop with fluorescent tube lighting and it’s noisy.

So it’s true that single coils are noisier but it’s a sliding scale.

4 Likes

Yeah, I can’t stand even the tiniest amount of noise that is not made by my poor technique :wink:
To the point that some studio monitors with their white noise irritate me :slight_smile:

Everyone has their own daemons :wink:

3 Likes

There are so many pickups which eliminate hum this shouldn’t be a worry. Here’s my jazz basses both hum cancelling

I don’t like noise either. You can fix it

5 Likes

I know. And that is what I did :slight_smile:
In that same post, I said I installed Fralin Split Coils.

The most important part was about upgrading pots and capacitor afterwards to get back some of the lost treble.

All sorted now as you can see in the post about my new loom.

4 Likes

You could always just wire the pickups on any Jazz bass reverse-phase and simulate the same effect :slight_smile:

It would give a thinner sound (which is not doing a J any favors, they already are compared to other pickups). But it would cancel the noise.

2 Likes

Or you could put in a pair of split coil p pickups in a jazz housing, which is what I did :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

5 Likes

Friends, I’m so happy: I finally ordered my second bass: a Sire Marcus Miller V8 Jazz Bass in White Blonde. I’d been considering the V7 Swamp Ash for ages and now they are out of stock. Saw an offer for the new V8 as B stock at Thomann and just went for it. It’s not arrived yet but I needed to drop in and share my excitement. :star_struck:

14 Likes

Congrats…post a pic when you get it or else!

7 Likes

Congrats, @Regina. Sires are excellent basses.

4 Likes

Congrats @Regina !

5 Likes

@Regina great choice and congrats!!

4 Likes

Cue evil :joy_cat:

6 Likes

It’s here and it’s beautiful! I wouldn’t have chosen that colour if it hadn’t been on special offer but it has a faint tint of rose and I think I love it already. And the neck! Needless to say that it plays great. Strings are a bit noisier than I’m used to but that’ll be a matter of time. So happy!

22 Likes

Now that is a good lookin bass right there!
Spec…Tacular that is.

7 Likes

Beautiful, @Regina! Your Sire looks premium in all respects. Congrats!

7 Likes

I might have to join a band to take it out on stage so everyone can admire it (and me).

8 Likes

String noise mostly goes away in a mix. Looks great.

6 Likes

Beautiful bass @Regina

5 Likes