Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

It snapped where it had been kinked over by the “luthier” at L&M’s.

As near as I can make it out, he only had two winds on the peg, and when it stuck in the bridge on the binding, the capstan bent the string at the kink and snapped it. Shocked the bejeebus out of me. That A string is like the E on most medium lights.

1 Like

Wow. The problem is that you don’t know your own strength. Your Eastern European background is catching up with you.

All those days on the collective farm repairing Belarus 420’s has given you a grip of iron :wink:

3 Likes

On my parents’ farm in Ontariostan, we had a Zetor 5245… a kinder, gentler Iron Curtain product.

2 Likes

This topic got me curious about something : I’m currently customizing an old ibanez RB808PL (I wanted a natural look so : paint removal, sanding, tung oil etc). It’s going well apart for a silly mistake along the way when applying oil that will force me to redo it (once we’re out of winter).
But I’m enjoying the process so far. So much that I’m already thinking about the next step : build my own bass, or modifying one to suits my need.
So I started looking into DIY bass kit. But when I look into the cheapest I could afford, it’s not that far and often superior in price than the cheapeast basses around (and DIY kits doesn’t look that superior in terms of quality, but I may be wrong about that).
Could you please tell me, according to you : Should I go for a cheap jazz bass and modifying it or still look into a jazz bass DIY kit ? Pros and cons ?

2 Likes

After a few more research, I think I have the beginning of an answer : it all depends of what you can found near you and if it suits what you need for the specific project.
The two options works, either way (I’ve confirmed it from another posts here and forums). Right now, I’m favoring the bass kit because I could finally found something available in France with a fair price and clear instructions. Can’t wait to try it.

1 Like

I would search for use Squier CV Basses. Preferably the older MIC versions but the Vintage Modified Series are also decent basses. The newer CV’s are essentially re-badged VM’s.

Upgrading any of them is very easy and you’ll have a good selection of hardware and pickups with which to do it since the MIC versions of the Squier CVs are all built to US specs. I’ve done three basses two of which I still have and three CV Telecasters as well. They are great project basses for upgrading. Just find a good prospect for a reasonable price and have at it.

The two basses I have now, a Matt Freeman PBass and and FSR '60s Jazz Bass both have Bill&Becky Lawrence/Wilde pickups. The best I’ve ever played and very reasonably priced. Babicz FCH Bridges and upgraded electronics. All the rest is stock as they came new to me. Both are worth hundreds more than I have into them and I play both at gigs and jams.

IMHO they are better basses now than the original 1960s PBass and Jazz Bass I once owned.

3 Likes

Added strap locks today. Yeah, I’m MOD crazy…

12 Likes

I have both a Squier CV and a Squier VM and, while both are good, I think that the Vintage Modified series is even a little bit better. But CV’s a great, yeah.

4 Likes

Good call tbf, seeing as when you inevitably get another bass, can just buy the strap lock buttons, easily swap the strap between them :+1:

4 Likes

It may depend somewhat on what a person prefers. Since I’m “vintage” I guess I go more for the stuff that’s as close to what I once played as it can be. The CV Series pretty much did that but overall there’s not all that much difference between them as far as build quality goes.

3 Likes

Just said to the missus I was told to buy another bass. You in trouble! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

It’s only a matter of time before you want more :wink: lol

3 Likes

Both make great modding and upgrade platforms. My choice just for feel of the ones I have tried would be the newer CV '70s, but hey they are all good value.

3 Likes

best upgrade for 20-25 bucks : new strings :grin:

9 Likes

i’ve got a set of 45-105 coming today!

4 Likes

ooh interesting variation on the EXL170’s I usually get

4 Likes

Now ya gotta break the damn things in!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:.

New strings are like new teeth…. I remember when my dad had to get a new set of dentures - got his original set back in the 60’s. Here it was 30-40 years later and my little brother (a dentist) built him a new set…. He hardly ever wore them which pissed my little brother off, but……

I remember dad always saying that his old dentures had chewed through more gristle, grime, grease and wild game than any old Timber Wolf, and to replace them would be a disgrace to nature….

Pops never did wear those new dentures - until - his death…. My little brother made sure that those damn things were installed inside his mouth when he was buried….

All I can imagine is “Poor Dad”…. Up there in heaven with a new set of dentures that he’s not use to having in his mouth……

Have fun breaking those new strings in @terb Laurent!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Keep On Thumpin!!
Lanny

8 Likes

A while back I bought a used Squier Bronco. It was from the 2010 run so the maple neck had some nice aging to it, but it was underwhelming to play. Mainly because of the weak strat pick up and tiny pots but the bass itself really didn’t have much style. I thought it would make the perfect upgrade project. This is by far the most in depth mod I’ve done and I learned a ton from it. I’m also no long afraid to take a drill to a bass body or headstock. Here’s a rundown:

1. Copper shielded cavity
  2. Mint green pick guard instead of boring white
  3. All black hardware (tuners, string tree, knobs, P/G screws and bridge) - I went budget friendly on the hardware and gave Guyker a shot on their tuners and bridge. The bridge was the only one other than a kickass from hipshot that allowed me to adjust to a narrow 18 ish mm spacing due to this being a short scale. So far I’m quite pleased at the quality and saved about $150.
  4. 500k CTS pots with a .1uf Orange Drop cap
  5. Seymore Duncan quarter pounder single coil PU

The pick up I chose was the reason I went with 500k pots and such a large capacitor. I wanted a large sweep of tonal variety with as much high’s as possible since short scales tend to produce muddier tones. The tones this thing spits out now are monstrous and it looks so much cooler. It’s now a bass that I pick up way way more often. And all for under $200 in parts (PU included).

12 Likes

Love the “before/after” pictures. I can see this upgrade was worth it : worked so well than even the before picture went a little blurry from the comparison ^^
Thanks for your experience jhchason81.
This is about what I’m aiming to do but I may need to learn a bit about electronics first though, I … don’t quite understand anything about it.

4 Likes

those Bronco’s are really cool if you upgrade the bridge and pickup. I had one and I used to put an EMG HB into it (which is an EMG P in a humbucker format) :grin: I sold it for very cheap to a friend who wanted a first bass.
Later, I bought a Bronco neck that I still have in my parts stock. I plan do to something with it, one day. The only issue for me is that the neck is quite narrow, like a Jazz Bazz neck.

8 Likes