Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

My inner, and outer goth are now happy: DR Strings, Black Beauties, 50-110 :sunglasses: :metal:

10 Likes

Very nice looking on the TRBX.

4 Likes

Also NGL it’s kind of making me miss mine :rofl:

Just a great bass and so good looking.

4 Likes

Finished up with the mustang. I’m pretty happy with it. Upgraded to EMG GZR set, changed the switch out for tone knob. Still trying to figure out what kind of knob I want there. I like the sound but found if I turn the volume up all the way on the bridge pick up the D and G strings kinda muddy out. But at about 80% it sounds great. Bridge and Neck pickups work fine when the other is turned down all the way. Not totally sure what’s happening there. I really like the way it plays and sounds.

8 Likes

I just installed the EMG GZR in one of my basses and did not have that issue!
All cables are connected firmly? Height of the precision pickups for D/G is ok?

I can confirm that the EMG GZR is absolutely great!

2 Likes

It’s weird, both volumes all the way up and seems like d and g string struggling for sound, with p (neck) pickup all the way up and bridge turned all the way down, it’s fine, with neck pickup all the way down and bridge all the way up, it works like it should, volume decreases like it should when I turn it down.
What’s strange is when both are turned up all the way, d and g are weak, but if I dial back the bridge pick up, I can hear an increase in volume as I turn it back, at about 80%, it sounds great.

Wires seem fine, I’ve played with the pick up height, string are lined up pretty well in relation to the pickups. I’m stumped…

2 Likes

Hehe, it sure is. I might want others but this will always be my first ‘real’ bass and will remain forever treasured :slight_smile:

Just seeing it makes me want to pick it up and play it. It’s probably a good thing I can’t really play comfortably sitting down otherwise my work day might be a whole lot less productive (for the company at least).

5 Likes

The usual treatment for the BB today; cut off the old strings, polished the frets with some super high grit high tech buffing tools (aka 5-10k grit cheap ladies’ nail buffers), cleaned the fretboard with some lemon oil, conditioned it with some boiled linseed oil, put on some new NYXL’s, and gave it a seasonal setup and intonation. It’s ready to rock again.

19 Likes

Beauty :two_hearts:

4 Likes

Beautiful @howard…. Love’n that fretboard with the new NYXL’s strung across it….

3 Likes

Something about this makes me think of a Fender Telecaster. Nice.

2 Likes

Not a bass but today I upgraded my Hakko FX-600 to a FX-888D :slight_smile:

These things are pretty far from the latest tech but are old standbys, like Wellers. This or the FX-951 are the ones I always wanted to end up with, so why not.

About double the cost of an equivalent Yihua (which, frankly, are just fine - great gear coming from China these days), but we all know how GAS works.

My excuse for posting here, I will of course use this on basses and guitars :rofl:

(this weekend, even!)

14 Likes

I had half a day off today, supposed to be all day but anyways, :rofl:

My parts have not arrived yet so I dug out my custom colored EMG MMTW and my seafoam green SUB 4, and got my mod therapy going.

I thought I want more of the Stingray experience and not the Sterling experience. I want full width Stingray and not 38mm at the nut so I swapped out my OP neck out and gave it a go. It’s not an exact fit but a little sanding here and there, it worked out ok. Love the OP neck because it’s the exact replica of the Stingray and it’s been played has worn out at the right place, good relic.

Wired it up EMG style, and the great thing about the TW model, it has 3 coils. MM mode utilized 2 top coils north and south, in the single coil mode, it utilized 2 stacked south coil so it’s similar to Jazz bridge but a bit more muscle.

@Whying_Dutchman, hope you like the color theme.

![IMG_1745|375x500](upload://pdGj3RmpfBULAehVYwC8gSJW4gb.jpeg

Hopefully, I get to finish the next one by the 4th of July, here’s a preview

Paisley Strat
EMG pickups
Fender Roasted maple neck
Graphtech ratio tuners
Babicz FCH tremolo

7 Likes

I’m colour blind - is it pink??! :slight_smile:

It’s nice to mod stuff, right??! Don’t make any jokes though - you wil be flamed ^^

Which EMG is that exactly? Your description of it sounds quite interesting!

2 Likes

Emg offer the TW version in a few models. I believe all of the soap bars and the MM. they used to offer the TWX on the MM but now they are no longer making.

It’s quite interesting. I’ll put some testing videos for you later.

1 Like

:joy: I’m the original ModFather. I won’t get flamed.

3 Likes

Yeah, you, John and Wombat :rofl:

2 Likes

Don’t forget @Barney he’s definitely a made man.

I love his Talman mod.

4 Likes

Good point, when you go to the painting stage you know you’re hooked.

2 Likes

Nice, there is nothing better than a quality iron to make a project go smoothly!

4 Likes