Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

Next one.

Telecaster
EMG X Telecaster pickup set
Graphtech Ratio locking Tuner
Babicz Tele bridge
Flatwound strings

It’s not without problems, there’s some fitting issue with pickguard and the bridge, just have to spend some extra time filing off materials and make more room, :grinning:

This is what I started.

It’s niece that even on the Affinity they are using 2 pin tuners.

EMG Tele system X series.

Done, I’ll tackle the Tusq nut, on the next session. it needs to be a bit lower.

12 Likes

How are you all?
I’m making this post to get your opinion on a project I have, now a little context:

I have this entry-level passive Yamaha Precision that was my first bass, with sentimental value that is worth more to me than my other basses. I changed the pickups to a GZR EMG and I’m thinking about adding an MMHz EMG pickup to eventually have a P MM configuration with a 3-band preamp, any opinions?

Greetings, and thank you very much.

7 Likes

Yay! My opinion: go for it and post pics and sound samples when done.

That’s my dream PU combination!

3 Likes

I really appreciate the response, I’ll post the results if I make the adjustment.

2 Likes

I’d leave it P only, personnally.

3 Likes

I Decided to dress up my MM Sterling Darkray with Blue DR strings to match the illuminated mode ring on the blend knob.

12 Likes

I know for the fact that @Reasonably_Happy would kill for that Rootbeer burst Bongo you had in the back.

3 Likes

Bongo :heart:

2 Likes

How many knobs do you plan to put on. If you want 3 band EQ then may be the BQC (4 knobs) one master volume, one ABC active balance control, Stacked Bass/treble and stacked mid/ mid control. Just remember you’d still need room for the 9V battery, that Mid control PC board knobs is not small.

I’m not sure if your Yamaha back cavity can take all even you route out the battery box. Here’s my spare BQC

I don’t know if you really need a 3 band EQ unless you want something really specific. I just upgraded by stingray with the MMTW and it sounds awesome with just tone knobs. If it’s me and just me, I’d save on the preamp and save your Geezer for another project and get the active P and MMTW get their stack knobs core Vol/ tone on the P and the MMTW 2 knobs total of 3 knobs and call it a great day.

By separating your P volume and tone control to the MM your bass can be both and I also found that there’s more room for unique tone than using blend knob and master volume.

5 Likes

The light is bad, The Bongo is Harvest Orange. I can’t seem to find a sample of the Rootbeer MM on the internet except for a Stingray.

4 Likes

Hey! Only when necessary mate, only when necessary… :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Totally agree.
I’m always impressed by a bass that I get and go “nope, it’s good just as it is”.

EB MM BFR
BOTH Yamahas
Lakland 5’er
Hofner
Gene Simmons Punisher (more for collectible reasons)
Gretsch hollow body
Fender custom shop and Marcus Miller (the only Fenders I haven’t modded)
Actually, it’s all but two fender and the Squier’s that all get modded.

2 Likes

Yep. I have never felt the need to substantially mod any Yamaha I have owned.

On my SBVs I did swap out the tuners and bridge, but only because on me they have slight neck dive if you don’t. The stock ones are fine.

Yamaha’s pickups in general almost never need upgrade, the stock ones are awesome.

3 Likes

Not today but this weekend:

Schallers so my strap fits, and some nice Gotoh locking tuners for the Revstar.

10 Likes

Got the tuners and schallers on.

This is such a nice upgrade for guitars. I really wish these existed for bass.

11 Likes

really nice look with those white “tulip” knobs

5 Likes

Thanks!

3 Likes

Yeah, totally! Very classic and distinguished.

3 Likes

The locks on Gotoh Magnums like these are super simple and effective too. I really like them. Changing strings takes no time with them.

3 Likes

I agree,love the look of those!

3 Likes