Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

I dropped the Hamer off at the repair store yesterday and this is what they’re going to do:
Complete setup
New nut
New strings (Ernie Ball 2834 Super Slinky)
New Pickups (Bare Knuckle J bass 60 PE)

Should be ready in about 3 weeks.

3 Likes

as my Jazz Bass seems to have been “lost” (“stolen”) and there is an insurance for its whole value, I won’t loose any money. so, I was looking at other used basses today … and I found one, which is probably not objectively better than a good JB, but which definitly should suit me way better than any JB. wait and see … :grin:

4 Likes

Didn’t upgrade the guitar, but slowly putting together my home office.

I have a few spare crates so I disassembled one to make a worn-aesthetic place for my bass to hang securely. Really happy with the result, just need to loosen and nudge the first one to be a tad straighter.

And obviously the problem now is that I have two hangers and one bass, so… we all know how that gets fixed.

10 Likes

@terb just throw a couple hundred $$ more in, and then you’re good. Sorta like it never happened (picking up my first #2 in a few days lol)

1 Like

it looks very good !

2 Likes

The time has come

Had these for about a year but my D’Addarios just wouldn’t die, lol. Great strings, but finally starting to sound a bit dead.

Will be putting the Hooky strings on later today.

7 Likes

I’m not so much upgrading as I am side-grading and rearranging gear.

Sold the BA210, borrowed a BA108 for the time being, bought a Rumble 115 cab and have a Rumble 200 head on the way.

Decided to separate out the cab and head so I have more flexibility in the future. This way I can mix and match heads and the 115 cab should be plenty of grunt for my practice basement and it sounded AMAZING when I tried it with the Rumble 800 head at the LMS.

5 Likes

Very nice!

3 Likes

for the BEAD Ply-bass :

6 Likes

Custom, mother of pearl fretboard inlays for my Gibson SG…

6 Likes

Just got my Hamer back from the luthier. New nut, Ernie Ball Super Slinky strings, new pots, new DiMarzio DP123K J-Bass pickups and a setup.

11 Likes

I love DiMarzio pickups ! it may be a huge update to your bass !

6 Likes

It is Laurent. It sounds great.

6 Likes

Hi everyone!

Here is my first update incoming:

Small question regarding the string, I’ve read a lot that I should not cut the string to the right size, did any of you have any experience with those strings?

Thanks

2 Likes

I always cut mine, but I don’t use flats. never had a problem.

2 Likes

I think it should be OK to cut them if you don’t plan on reusing them on a bass with a different headstock. Just make sure you don’t cut them too short. This tutorial seems quite precise on it:

2 Likes

Do they have a round core or a hex core? Cutting round core strings might lead to a potential slipping between the inner core and the outer wound. However, if you crimp them (i.e., bend them almost 180 degrees) upon inserting them into the tuners, that should do prevent that. However, as @Krescht says, you won’t be able to re-use those strings on another bass or actually re-string them if you take them off this bass.

Hope this makes some sense!?

5 Likes

You actually can restring them on the same bass.

3 Likes

Yeah, length-wise for sure. But if you “crimp” them (and that, of course, only applies to round core strings), then I am not so sure… at least it gets harder to accomplish with the tightly bent string towards the end…

2 Likes

I’ve done it :slight_smile:

1 Like