Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

I’ve used the Slinky Flats and I cut them. I crimped them first, but I always do that when I cut a string.

2 Likes

Cool!

By the way, how are you liking the Peter Hook strings? That .60 G-string must give a lot of punch!?

3 Likes

I think the G string sounds amazing! The second half of the bass riff I am working on here is bouncing between it and the D and there’s no real noticeable difference in tone thickness or volume:

(appropriately sounds like Hooky because it’s a Hooky bassline, with chorus on it :slight_smile:

Still not sure if I like stainless steel rounds vs nickel, though. I have a bright bass already and as you can tell, the stainless strings kind of take that to 11. My E string is positively clanky now.

2 Likes

Oh, yes, they are pretty bright - I hadn’t realized they were stainless steel! Personally, having tried stainless steel myself, I can definitely say that I prefer nickel rounds :grin:

But, for the Hooky strings, it is probably more about those gauge choices, wouldn’t you think?

4 Likes

Yeah definitely. Well mostly - he has a very distinctive brightness to his tone too, but the heavy gauge on the G is the key for sure.

Hmm, you may actually like this one, nice mixolydian line that illustrates his typical brightness I am describing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rr27lhMm9c

Also a little of the brightness in my sample there was from me fatfingering the G string and getting some buzzing - it’s why I’m rerecording it.

(that line has a bit of a tough shift for me to nail perfectly, 8th on the E to 12th on the G in syncopation. It gets lost in the mix but what can I say, perfectionism :slight_smile: ).

2 Likes

I totally dig his approach to bass not being confined to the first five frets only, but, yes, in this particular mix, it is a bit hard to hear what is going on… I listened to it on my good headphones, but still the bass feels oddly “low” in the mix. It gets better on second listening, once you know “where” to look for the bass :sweat_smile:

About that shift: I guess you know the “trick” to look where you intend to land BEFORE you actually shift, i.e., focus on your target a beat or two before you shift!?

2 Likes

Oh yeah, that’s the only reason I can play this song at all. It also has 14-fret (7 up/7 down) slides across two strings :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Haha, thanks for the tabs. So, you just whip up these recordings on the fly, or is that part of your break-down and analysis of this song?? :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I rendered them out of the cover I am doing with my friend :slight_smile:

Synths and drums are me too. Well, drum programming anyway.

2 Likes

Wait, what??

Apparently I have been away from the forum for too long, and now I see stuff I don’t understand :crazy_face: Do you really have (or did you really have) a Jazz bass, Laurent?? One from Fender or another brand?? Cool…

Very sorry to hear it got lost/stolen… was that during shipping?? Did you get your replacement? (Perhaps, you shown in another thread… I really haven’t looked at many of them at all during the past weeks, sorry!)

I have started a quest for the right Jazz for me as well… there are just so many choices!

2 Likes

yeah I bought this assembly of a Fender Precision neck, a walnut Jazz Bass body, and (rare) Kent Armstrong lipstick pickups :

… but it has been stolen during the shipping :frowning: we had an insurrance but for now we (me and the seller) still have not been refund yet … hope it will not take too long.

As a replacement, sort of … I found a bass that way better suits me, I think. It’s a japanese lawsuit Grabber, dated 1974/75. I love it !

6 Likes

Wow, that walnut body looks stunning… But the Grabber is probably even more special!? I am not familiar with them at all… Congrats!!

2 Likes

the Grabber is a copy of the Gibson Grabber of the 70’s : long scale, full maple, and a funny and unique sliding fat soapbar-sized single coil pickup. it sounds close to a Rickenbacker. way more rare and special than a Jazz Bass for sure ! way more raw and wild too …

3 Likes

Sounds like something right up your alley :grin:

But, I guess, most people would want a Jazz exactly because it is not “special”, but because it sounds like something they have heard before and want to imitate/reproduce.

3 Likes

yeah probably, it’s become “the standard classic bass”. that’s perfectly fine and a JB works really great in a lof of situations.

2 Likes

8 Likes

it took a bit more time, because I had to file a bit the pickguard. for some reason this MEC pickup is a little bit larger than the stock pickup. also I changed the tone capacitor for a .068mFd , way more effective in the frequency spectrum of a BEAD bass.

This MEC pickup is really, really, really impressive. considering the poor quality of the base instrument, the result is really far beyond my expectations.

also I like the look :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I really like the Warwick pickups on my Streamer too. And those are the good ones, way better than mine. I bet it sounds awesome :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just missed out on a Washburn AB 10 a local pawn shop had for 240, guy was walking out the door with it for 200 as I was pulling in. It was beautiful and I missed it by 5 minutes. :frowning:

The reason I was there is I took my Sterling Ray4 back to GC before the 45 day window and upgraded( there is the upgrade part, NBD pics on Wednesday ), I have a Yamaha TRBX 604 in black coming but it won’t be here till Wednesday, Being halfway through the B2B course without a bass is problematic and now I have no bass and a case of the GAS for a take with me camping bass.

Well look at that, on Craigslist not 10 miles from my house is an Ibanez AEB10E DVS with a hard case and 2 extra set of strings for $250. I guess I’ll just have to go over there and take it home with me. Immaculate, not a mark on it.

6 Likes

I just got notification that my new Six string Ibanez will be delivered on the 14th! I am excited to test out the extended range and get some more recording done with it.

8 Likes