Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

His review on the Steinberger XT-25… Holy sh** that was cringe, instant subscribe! :rofl:

2 Likes

Today my Bergantino 2x12 cab arrived and I can strike this from the wish/upgrade list. This will be my last cabinet.

11 Likes

Looks pretty rugged, @booker_t . . . nice speaker size, too! :slight_smile:

Good luck with it!

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

Thanks Joe. I use a small practice amp in my small townhouse and have a phil jones cabinet (with 8 5" speakers), pictured in the back, so when this cabinet came out weighing only 49 pounds, in nooooooo way did I expect this size. Too much for me? Yeah; but, I’m 60 next month, and with this course, other courses, and an instructor, I want to make one last run at performing. Appreciating the love, knowledge and sharing of the Bad Ass forum, and wishing everyone their dreams. Thanks again Joe.

7 Likes

60 is only a number. I hit it in 4 days

Nice cab

3 Likes

that’s an amazing cab u got there man.

3 Likes

Wow that’s nice.

2 Likes

Yeah, he doesn’t get things 100% all the time.
He actually made a bunch of statements about Ray4, Ray24 and Ray34 that he corrected in later reviews.
But he always said I think that …
and the things he got wrong were also alot of marketing tings designed to trick the buyer into paying for the more expensive product.

He Really and honestly tries to give a review as tho he is an average joe looking to buy a bass and much of his ratings are on that, and how they play OUT OF THE BOX. He doesn’t’ want to go and add several $100 to a bass and then review it as tho you open the box and that is how it is.

He is a STRING PLAYER of a certain brand, but he still does the reviews before swapping strings, unless he specifies he is putting on different strings so he can test it against a bass on his wall.

I am pretty sure he is knowledgable enough to not get something that wrong based on pick up height, however it could have had something wrong with the pick up and or pre-amp, or it could have been like that out of the box.
He is not line texting a bunch of them, because we as consumers are gonna make a choice and purchase something and expect something from what we spent when we open the box.
I am sure if. you brought those points up to him on that thread that he would address them, and if necessary, make a video, especially if he got something way wrong that would deter somebody from buying something.

And, TBH, he could be 100% full of crap, and he could play favorites to certain basses and talk bad about others, although I seriously doubt it.
he comes off as genuine, but actors could do that, so like anything, you have to take everything somebody else says on the internet with a certain degree of caution, and still fact check something for your sell.

for instance, if I were looking at that BB734 5 string and saw that review, 3 claws would not turn me away from checking it out further, and when I played, I would pay close attention to the B string and other things he points out (on any bass, not limited to the yamaha) and see if it was an issue that was present, check if it is easily dealt with (strings, raise pick up, set up) and use it to help me decide if it is the bass for you.
Lobster never says (well sometimes in really rare cases) GO AND GET THIS BASS. He pretty much leaves it like. is this the best value for your money, that is up to you to decide after you check it out.

And my main reason for bringing that bass review up on the Channel I was recommending to go to for reviews, was me being HONEST that he does not give the best review to the Yamaha that he does review, but he appears genuine, and fair in his process.

And I also am not suggesting you don’t like him or hate him over that review, I am mainly clarifying somethings to keep the perceived point on point with my point I am trying to make. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

@booker_t, Usually when I read “This will be my last (insert new gear here)” I always think the last of this year…
But in this case I don’t think there’s much left to wish for, because that is one serious cabinet :+1:

3 Likes

Thank you, @afoostendorp. I know there will be more amps and guitars; and, undoubtedly a cab that calls my name.

12 Likes

I can see all those vintage basses “FLOATING” by . . . :astonished:

4 Likes

Just to add my 2 cents in, my thoughts on the BB735

Lobster’s 5 strings like the Dingwall and EHB are multi scale; the B string is scaled at 36-37 inches and is under the same tension as all the other strings

On the BB735 the scale is 34" and I bet it does feel funny to him.

I play a multi scale and that’s my take.

Anyway just proves he’s human. I think he does a good job overall and find him informative. I think he’s more consistent than the others with the exception of Julia

2 Likes

totally, and good point on the multi scale, I did not think of that.
He just got the Dingwall, but has had the Ibanez for a little over a year now.

He has many other 5 string reviews, but again, he could have been jamming heavy on a multi scale before the review.

And, as you said,
he is human, not crustacean, so he is prawn to err! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Upgrade Day is here, well tomorrow actually. But have everything lined up to take my Jazz and go Zero fret, and then BEAD tuning

9 Likes

Who doesn’t love Julia? :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

BadaBOOM. Nice

2 Likes

@lee_editorial Did they strip the bass before they painted it or did they rough it up and paint over the existing paint?

Did you have it done by a luthier or someone else?

2 Likes

@eric.kiser

They took it apart and stripped it completely before painting. That company does incredible work, but the guy is like an artist- and he stays so busy, it takes months! I would not recommend unless you have a 2nd bass and don’t mind the time line.

The initial purchase cost for the bass was very inexpensive, So I decided the painting investment would be worth it to end up with a unique look. (also have a short scale Sting Ray so didn’t mind the Jag being gone for so long.)

3 Likes

that is fantastic :+1:

2 Likes

Would you mind saying how much some one should expect to pay for a paint job like that?

2 Likes