Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

Put some Schallers on my new BB tonight. Ready to fling my bass around my body now, F-chopper style :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I have been checking and researching the Yamaha TRBX504 for several weeks now and thanks to a lot of information supplied by @howard finally decided to pull the trigger yesterday on this model.
The only issue was a 6 month waiting list, because of the virus and Yamaha having parts supplier issues, but I figured this was the way I wanted to go and I got on the list yesterday.

Today I was contacted by a dealer that had talked to his Yamaha Canada rep and the dealer said he could get a new one to me within 4 days if I purchased right away. I was given a 10% discount and free shipping via Fedex. The bass will be on it’s way to me tomorrow.

14 Likes

Great that it worked out so well for you, @Celticstar . . . :slight_smile:

Good luck with your new bass !

Cheers
Joe

7 Likes

Well, true to their word the TRBX 504 arrived today.

Meet Merlin!!!

Here he is just out of the box, setup checked, and tuned up ready to go.
Oh yeh, first thing I did was install strap locks on him.
I’ve seen a few good instruments ruined by falling to the floor/ground but never ones with a strap lock installed.

You can laugh but I name all of my instruments.

11 Likes

Awesome!

I love that transparent brown color, in person it looks really understated and sophisticated.

How do you like it so far?

5 Likes

@howard

I could not be happier and again have to thank you for all the guidance that YOU provided to get me to this point.
I haven’t been this excited since I purchased my Stratocaster in the early 1970s.

The neck relief is .015 so it is playable, the action is a shade high, but also playable and the the intonation is a bit off on several strings but that is easy enough to fix.
I will wait for a couple of weeks for it to settle in completely and then will go over the setup in more detail.

5 Likes

Good for you, @Celticstar . . . :slight_smile:

(that’s when I got started, too :wink: )

All best, and hope you get lots of enjoyment out of Merlin!

4 Likes

i’m picturing a spinal tap dead guy in the first row with a bass neck sticking through his abdomen scene

5 Likes

Haha yessss

4 Likes

My zero fret is on and the Jazz is tuned to BEAD. Now that’s what I’m talking about.

9 Likes

Aww yeah.

4 Likes

BOOOOM :boom:

3 Likes

Just ordered:

Solid State Logic SSL 2 audio interface

Basically up there with MOTU for one of the best DAI’s under $750 or so, from what I can tell.

JBL 305P mkII studio monitors

I went with them over the HS5W’s because they actually have a better bass frequency response and the curve looks way better for them at the low end.

Plus I found a pair used for $150 :slight_smile:

I am actually unsure how I will make these fit my space yet.

10 Likes

Nice

4 Likes

Wot no yamaha

5 Likes

I know!

I was surprised but the JBLs actually have better response. Both are good though.

3 Likes

looks like a great choice @howard ! JBL is an excellent brand

4 Likes

Thanks! Looking forward to this, I expect them to be huge

3 Likes

Excellent choice! The plugins are amazing too and it seems you get the vocal and drum strip for free. I highly recommend the channelstrip and bus compressor.

Those JBL are nice. I had stands for my monitors so I could put them in the corners and not on my desk. Just make sure you get one with a small foot for more flexibility. Big foots are nice for stability but it really gave me headache finding a good position.

5 Likes

Oh yeah forgot to mention the bundled software. Well above average:

• SSL Native Vocal and Drum channelstrips forever, the rest of SSL Native for six months
  • NI Komplete Start
  • NI Hybrid Keys
  • Pro Tools First Plus (won’t use the DAW but will use the plugins!)
  • Ableton Live Lite (will be my second Live Lite license I’m not using, lol)
  • ~1.5GB of samples

Yeah, I’ve got a spot for one of them. Where the other will go is gonna be a desk re-arrangement.

4 Likes