Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

Lanny!! Just listened to both the recordings, yeah, the upgrades just make that bass sound so “right”, smooth, precise. But part of that is the bass player too, lol, you just look like a bass dude, I mean, you did before, but there’s this vibe now in the video, like that bass is just an extension of you, just a naturalness to your playing, hard to explain, but lovin’ it man!!

6 Likes

Good to see you Lanny! The bass sounds great and the performance outstanding as always.
:+1:

6 Likes

Killer! I wonder if the biggest difference is in the max resistances on the tone pots. That would explain a lot. Could be the cap too if it is a really different value.

The cap being different would explain the different filtering of the low end. What were the stock values?

6 Likes

Nice work, @Lanny . . . :+1:

Good to hear from you, and glad you’re doing well . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

Thanks @Vik!! Been a while hasn’t it?? It really wasn’t one of my best jobs playing, but it’s a fun song to warm up with.

5 Likes

Thanks @JerryP! Was rushing it a bit, but with cleaner tones and less carryover harmonics, I’ll need to adjust my muscle memory a bit. I like warming up with this song because it’s one that incorporates many different techniques, and the drum beat is very faint.

4 Likes

I’m thinking that one of the major differences would be the size of the cap. In the original wiring, both pots were 250k however the cap was very small and was wired a bit differently. Also, I used coaxial cable from the plug to the volume pot and soldered the coax grounds at each of the ends. Could also be the quality of the pots…

6 Likes

Hangin’ in there Joe @Jazzbass19!!.. So much going on out here at the “Middle Georgia Kingdom”!!.. Good to hear from you too old friend!

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

5 Likes

Simple upgrade today to my TRBX604. I popped off the graphtec tusq nut I made for the thing after I broke the original nut with Hooky’s signature strings (0.060 G string!)

I put on a Yamaha nut and changed the strings back to my faves, D’Addario Nickel Rounds.

Cleaned and oiled the fretboard. And as always, I was amazed by how much gunk accumulates from playing, even if you wipe the fretboard down with a cloth after playing.

Set her back up, intonated, and it’s like she’s in original condition again. Feels like a new bass.

8 Likes

That’s a thicc G string Howard! :sweat_smile:

It’s kinda weird but the intonations on my basses seldom change. I only had to adjust the E string on my p-bass in the last couple of years but that’s it.

6 Likes

It should only ever change when the bass geometry changes. Basically, if the neck relief changes. In this case it was due to different string tensions.

4 Likes

I everyone, I’m still buying some parts to convert my white Fender P Bass with gold hardware.
I’m expecting buying the brand new EMG Les Claypool Pachyderm pick up (if they have great review and if the output song fit to me):

I have nothing to make soldering and this kit is soldering free :slight_smile: thanks EMG. But I was looking the set up instruction and I can’t figure where the ground cable is… In comparison there is a ground wire ine the solderless kit Geezer Buttler… Does this mean that I will still have to solder the ground wire?

If yes any recommandation regarding a soldering machine and a good video tutorial? :smiley:

Thanks!

7 Likes

I was going to say the groundwire from the bridge will most likely connect to one of the terminals below, then I opened the wiring diagram and also don’t see it anywhere… @Al1885 has installed these, he will know

5 Likes

Thanks @John_E to comfirm I’m not blind ! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

There’s no ground cable. Not only it’s an active pickup (so be sure you have enough room for 9v) it’s already internally grounded. It’s quite an awesome pickup. Looks great.

There’s no need for manual grounding. Only the passive system require bridge grounding and it will come with the pickup. Don’t worry this thing is whisper quiet.

Did you say gold?

If you like bright clear sound consider optima gold strings. It’s great for slapping and tapping.

9 Likes

Those knobs are fantastic.

5 Likes

I love them. They are heavy and feel fantastic.

5 Likes

Did you put a set of those knobs on the Steve Harris P as well. I noticed they were similar, but IDK what fender put on the Steve Harris originally?

4 Likes

I LOVE this bass!

4 Likes

Yes. I first put it on my Spector just for fun but I love the heavy heff feel so I just got more for others. It’s and old Spector but still sounds great. My daughter is learning with it. She’s 7 so it’s way too big.

5 Likes